EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Battery and guitars with magnetic and piezo pickups

User Info Menu

Battery and guitars with magnetic and piezo pickups

Hi,
    I'm thinking of Music Man John Petrucci Majesty (600-M5-50-00).
    1. What if there is no battery - will it produce sound on output in any position? ie. HH as passive - position 4?
    2. How long does it work on battery (piezo (6) or combined (5) position)?
    3. Is battery used if upper switch in 4 position according to diagram?

Regards, Robert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoAdam View Post
    1. What if there is no battery - will it produce sound on output in any position? ie. HH as passive - position 4?
    The guitar will not work at all without a battery

2. How long does it work on battery (piezo (6) or combined (5) position)?
    I play a lot unplugged, so I won't be the best source on answering this. Generally speaking, they do seem to last quite a long time.

3. Is battery used if upper switch in 4 position according to diagram?
    I believe the battery is always in use to power the internal electronics (game changer) that control the pickup selection. Transistors have to be biased with a voltage to work.
    2014 Majesty - Polar Noir
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    Is there any explanation why it can't work with passive HH without battery?
    'Long' means 1, 10 or 30 hours on battery?
    For me diagram says that battery is not in use if guitar is unplugged.
    Yamaha SLG 130 NW

User Info Menu

Is there any explanation why it can't work with passive HH without battery?
    As stated above, the electronics that controls the pickup selection has to be powered or nothing gets through. The Majesty is not controlled with electromechanical switches like other guitars. It utilizes transistors for the switching.

'Long' means 1, 10 or 30 hours on battery?
    Definitely not 1 or 10 hours. I'd say it's closer to your 30 number. Just guessing though.

For me diagram says that battery is not in use if guitar is unplugged.
    Correct.
    Last edited by bhull; 04-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bhull View Post
    As stated above, the electronics that controls the pickup selection has to be powered or nothing gets through. The Majesty is not controlled with electromechanical switches like other guitars. It utilizes transistors for the switching.
    Oh, understand. However I wish it would have default state as bridge or neck H position if battery 'crisis'.

Quote Originally Posted by bhull View Post
    Definitely not 1 or 10 hours. I'd say it's closer to your 30 number. Just guessing though.
    Thx.
    Yamaha SLG 130 NW

User Info Menu

Oh, understand. However I wish it would have default state as bridge or neck H position if battery 'crisis'.
    Thx.
    Yeah, unfortunately there is no dead battery fallback position with the switches.

It takes 3 AA's. Make sure to keep a spare set in your guitar case for those emergencies. Also, don't use generic brands. I have found the cheap batteries have a leakage failure much more often than name brand. Spend the extra little bit of money and keep Energizer or Duracel in the guitar.

And, if you end up picking up a Majesty, make sure to post some pictures
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

User Info Menu

you could get any model pre jp13 and have passive mode without a battery. once the preamp got introduced, battery became mandatory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christheasian View Post
    you could get any model pre jp13 and have passive mode without a battery. once the preamp got introduced, battery became mandatory
    Excellent direct way to explain it!

As for battery life Chris can likely give you a much better estimate as he's a beast and has probably killed many sets of batteries in his playing time.
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

I was told by someone in a music store that the battery on the sterling bass would drain if connected to the amp even if the amp was off and I needed to disconnect the cord to save the battery life. Is this true? I'm just looking for a straight answer. Thanks.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobkatwells View Post
    I was told by someone in a music store that the battery on the sterling bass would drain if connected to the amp even if the amp was off and I needed to disconnect the cord to save the battery life. Is this true? I'm just looking for a straight answer. Thanks.
    Hi there,
    The jack on the Sterling Bass acts like a on/off switch by completing the circuit from the battery to the preamp when it's plugged in. If you leave it plugged in, yes, it will kill the battery. We recommend unplugging your bass/guitar when it's not in use.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I will.

User Info Menu

This is true for just about every guitar with active preamps. It's also true for most pedals that have batteries. Many have a buffer or other circuitry to help it when in bypass mode, so any time a cord is plugged in, it's on.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck