Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading Musicman Petrucci for a Luke, Is this worth it???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    No I wouldn't. Lukes don't go for near as much as Petruccis. If you wanna, cool, prob a diff of 400 or more. There are blacks, and then blacks (like Black Sugar). So if you wanna, go for it! The trade off is convenience and time to sell then buy.
    Agreed - at current prices posted on the Music Man site a JP6 Mystic Dream is $500 more than Luke if it has the piezo bridge, and still $200 more than a Luke if it doesn't have the piezo.

If the OP isn't playing the JP and wants a Luke, he should either be getting some cash along with the Luke from the other party, or he should sell the JP and buy the Luke (pocketing the difference).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agt View Post
    You have gotten a lot of thoughtful advice, but nobody has told you the hard truth: EBMMs are an addiction and you should keep both and get a third EBMM!

And then a fourth, and a fifth, and ...
    Truth.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I like to call these first-world problems....

Play the new Luke and see if it speaks to you. You've got nothing to lose in trying it out. Every guitar sounds/plays slightly different so maybe the new one is a better fit for you - or it's not.

I recently picked up two JPs (a 6 and a 7-string) after many years of avoiding them. They were deals that were screaming at me, I couldn't pass them up. Having spent some time with the JP6 and discovering what it excels at, I'm sold on JPs now. The point is, maybe you should also try to reconnect with your JP and see if you can gel with it. If not, then you're not doing it any favors by hanging on to it.

No, I'm not a marriage counselor.

User Info Menu

If you feel like you've spent enough time with each to decide that the Luke models work better for you, then I'd consider the trade. Maybe a trade plus cash on the other side, as others have pointed out the potential difference in value.

I have multiple JP's because they work for me, and having that consistency no matter which guitar I pick up is nice. I keep most of mine in different tunings so it is that much more worthwhile to have more than one.

User Info Menu

If it was a Koa Luke or something really special, sure. I also greatly prefer the feel of a Luke over that of a Petrucci but going value to value, I wouldn't make a straight up trade here.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Agreed - at current prices posted on the Music Man site a JP6 Mystic Dream is $500 more than Luke if it has the piezo bridge, and still $200 more than a Luke if it doesn't have the piezo.

If the OP isn't playing the JP and wants a Luke, he should either be getting some cash along with the Luke from the other party, or he should sell the JP and buy the Luke (pocketing the difference).
    Quoting myself because I didn't factor in any other options - like a painted headstock or the JP shield inlays. A fully loaded JP 6 in Mystic Dream with piezo, matching headstock, and shield inlays would be $800 more than a regular Luke.