Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Majesty construction vs. Artisan & Monarchy Majesty construction

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352

    Majesty construction vs. Artisan & Monarchy Majesty construction

    Hi guys,

    Does anyone have any idea as to what is the reasoning behind the Basswood portion in the original Majesty, and why the change to African Mahogany around the Honduran mahogany neck-through in the later two variations..?

    Could it be that the basswood wood not look good next to the Honduran mahogany in the translucent finish?

    And also, why not a 1-Piece Honduran Mahogany guitar instead of the African Mahogany enveloping?

    Take care
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 05-30-2017 at 06:59 AM.

    JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight (pending)
    NOMAC MAJESTY #11 Timeworn Matte Silver


    - Top Money Paid for a specific JP15 BUCKEYE BURL 6-String model released in Japan -

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    From reading recently African is lighter, so maybe they went with that on the Wings, whilst many players prefer Honduran for tone and better Aging qualities (though bit subjective) hence that for the neck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Thanks for the input Mark!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    5,030
    Remember, it's Petrucci himself who gives the final word on everything. Perhaps Casey or Drew or Dudley can chime in but ultimately it's simply because JP preferred that combination for that particular guitar.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

    I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    True, but would like to know what JP's 'exact' reasons for the change would be interesting, not sure I've seen any interviews relating to why he choose these materials? And combinations ie wood (s) + sonic ecstasy etc comparative to previous model (s)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    True, but would like to know what JP's 'exact' reasons for the change would be interesting, not sure I've seen any interviews relating to why he choose these materials? And combinations ie wood (s) + sonic ecstasy etc comparative to previous model (s)
    Good input Mark =)
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 06-20-2017 at 02:23 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Utah, United States
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Does anyone have any idea as to what is the reasoning behind the Basswood portion in the original Majesty, and why the change to African Mahogany around the Honduran mahogany neck-through in the later two variations..?
    I remember reading (or seeing in an interview) that the original intent was weight reduction.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Could it be that the basswood wood not look next to the Honduran mahogany in the translucent finish?
    On the flip side, I do not recall any reasoning given when they switched the wings over to mahogany for the artisan series. At first I had assumed what you did, that it was to have a nicer grain for the clear finishes. However, the wings are maple topped, so it kind of throws that out the window.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    And also, why not a 1-Piece Honduran Mahogany guitar instead of the African Mahogany enveloping?
    African mahogany is quite a bit less dense than Honduran. So if we look at the original intent, it is <probably> weight reduction.

    There is some speculation in my response. If reasons have been given for the design changes, I have missed them. If we look at the history, though, JPs line has been a constant evolution. It very well could be a tone choice, and he has found a tone/weight balance in the 2 types of mahogany woods.

    And more speculation...I seem to recall some people saying the original Majesty felt too light. That they wanted something a little more stout. Maybe it was a way of beefing the weight up a little and changing the tone a little to more fully round out the series.

    Just my <speculative> 2c
    2014 Majesty - Polar Noir

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    I think your speculations are pretty close to right (just speculating lol) just one thing I can't understand is that on the EBMM website all 3 models of majesty (original, artisan and monarchy) they all weigh 6lbs/12.. taking into account the different woods seems strange ie basswood and mahogany?
    2005 Fender Stratocaster HSS
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Tradional
    2016 Ibanez JS 2450
    2017 EBMM Majesty Monarchy (on order)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    I think your speculations are pretty close to right (just speculating lol) just one thing I can't understand is that on the EBMM website all 3 models of majesty (original, artisan and monarchy) they all weigh 6lbs/12.. taking into account the different woods seems strange ie basswood and mahogany?
    The weights on the website are not correspondent to reality. A more detailed report on the weights of each model is required.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by bhull View Post
    I remember reading (or seeing in an interview) that the original intent was weight reduction. On the flip side, I do not recall any reasoning given when they switched the wings over to mahogany for the artisan series. At first I had assumed what you did, that it was to have a nicer grain for the clear finishes. However, the wings are maple topped, so it kind of throws that out the window.
    I think that if weight reduction was the original purpose there wouldn't have been any shift from the basswood portion, as it is lighter than the African Mahogany. The wings on all Majesties are not maple-topped; the shield emblem is basically the maple top.

    Slightly beefing up the instrument however, like you said, sounds quite legit however. At the same time, they achieve uniformity in the looks by choosing the African Mahogany wings.

    Thanks a lot for the input guys, really enjoy geeking over the JP models =D

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Seems strange try don't put the correct weights down on their website, I know it says weight may vary slightly but still are more accurate proximaty would be nice considering different constructions. Any one have one of each and scales ? :P
    2005 Fender Stratocaster HSS
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Tradional
    2016 Ibanez JS 2450
    2017 EBMM Majesty Monarchy (on order)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    89
    When creating a new product variant, it is important to make enough changes to make the product appear sufficiently different to earlier models, to stimulate demand from existing customers. Or, as the Marketing department would call it....Fairy Dust.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieCrain View Post
    When creating a new product variant, it is important to make enough changes to make the product appear sufficiently different to earlier models, to stimulate demand from existing customers. Or, as the Marketing department would call it....Fairy Dust.
    They need to put 'fairy dust' on the weights advertised
    2005 Fender Stratocaster HSS
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Tradional
    2016 Ibanez JS 2450
    2017 EBMM Majesty Monarchy (on order)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    Seems strange try don't put the correct weights down on their website, I know it says weight may vary slightly but still are more accurate proximaty would be nice considering different constructions. Any one have one of each and scales ? :P
    Hahahaha, good one.

    https://www.promusictools.com/guitar...ial-frost.html , this one weighs 2.870

    Can't find a 7-string as of yet..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieCrain View Post
    When creating a new product variant, it is important to make enough changes to make the product appear sufficiently different to earlier models, to stimulate demand from existing customers. Or, as the Marketing department would call it....Fairy Dust.

    Good thinking.. Thanks Jamie =)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Paradigm