Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort on EBMM/SBMM Valentine

Comfort on EBMM/SBMM Valentine

Seeking input from those who currently own a Valentine model. I'm normally leery of slab bodies, but I'm curious about the wedge shape. Realizing it's not a belly cut of forearm contour, how comfortable is the Valentine to play?
    Reflex - Trans Black Flame

EBMM SUB4 Bass

To me, the wedge shape makes no, none, zero difference at all.

It's the main reason I'm selling mine. Fantastic guitar, but I need a forearm contour for comfort and to get in the optimal picking posture.

Feels perfect to me, but I come from an Axis, which is a slab as well. Love them both.

My music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

Happily Own

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)

It makes a slight difference. My Valentine is more comfortable than my Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    It makes a slight difference. My Valentine is more comfortable than my Tele.
    I think you hit the concept right on the head here: it's better than 'pure' slab-bodied guitars (Tele, Axis), but is a downgrade compared to anything with contours or bevels (for those who are used to this).

Better than a Tele, not as good as a Reverend with a proper forearm cut. I've been thinking of putting my Valentine under the knife for this reason, but it's fine as-is. If you play standing, it's just great.

My guitar experience is limited, but I completely agree with the consensus.... to me it feels very Telecaster-ish.

Overall, it's thinner and seems lighter, and with the bevel and other touches, more ergonomic... but if you don't like the feel of a Telecaster I don't think you'd like the shape of the Valentine either.

It's different... but not THAT different. Again, just my opinion.

Its a concern i have a about the valentine. I'm attracted to it sound wise, but comfort worries me. and no dealers near enough to me have one in stock to try

I had the same concern. I'm used to having a forearm contour since I started on a Strat. I hardly ever played my Tele. Ever.
    I now grab my Valentine about as often as I grab my Cutlass. I've sold my Tele but the Valentine is staying.

I own a Valentine and as someone who likes comfort cuts, it has been a process to become more comfortable. If I am going to play something more technical I still will gravitate towards my L3's as there is a benefit to having my arm anchored in such a way for alternate picking(at least for me). Otherwise, the guitar sounds great and looks very cool. I also noticed that James Valentine, who I never knew before the guitar, plays his guitars very high when standing for whatever that is worth...

I'm in the same boat. No one has one in stock near me, so it's a buy and try scenario.

I'm itching to call Pete and order one, but I'm concerned the ergonomics are a deal killer. I may just wait until one is available locally. I need a belly cut and either a forearm contour or a carved top. The design of the Valentine is intriguing, but I think the slab body isn't for me.

I'm ok with it. It's a bummer that it doesn't have those features. But I also recognize that EBMM made it for the artist, not for me.

It feels nothing like a Tele to me. I can't play teles because the bodies are so different in feel than my Axis or Valentine. Every time I pick up a tele, my picking hand is 1 string off. As in, I also think I'm somewhere I'm not.

The valentine is way thinner. For me, it feels fantastic.
    Last edited by radrock; 05-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Happily Own

Valentine is way more comfortable than my tele.

I'm usually playing something with a contour, but I don't get hung up with the valentine like I do when i grab my tele... in comparison to my countoured guitars.
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

IMO the Valentine's gradual wedge design shines the most when playing while standing. James plays live as much as anything so I think that was a big part of the design philosophy. It may not have tons of cuts and bevels like a silo special, but it is pretty comfortable. As always YMMV. James is a real picker and a smart dude and his guitar reflects it.

I didn't even know it was wedge shape until this thread. Lol

Happily Own