Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musicman syndrome... is there an explanation?

Musicman syndrome... is there an explanation?

Surfing on the MM Facebook groups or on this forum, I can't help noticing that many MM players tend to own several MM.

And I'm not talking of owning different models, which is understandable : many of us own several identical MM : JP's or Morse's or Luke's or AL's... You name it.

Back in time when I owned Fenders, Gibsons, Parkers, Andersons, ... I never felt the desire to have 3,4,5 times the same guitar model.

Yet, I really couldn't swear I'll never add another AL. Or two.

Why is that so common among MM owners?
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 05-13-2017 at 05:10 AM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS PDN 2014 Neptune Blue
    AL HH PDN 2016 Starry Night
    AL MM90 Black

The desire to become awesomely freaky (see my sig) is strong!

In my case, I have duplicates strung with different string gauges (e.g. a Silo Special with 10s and one with 11s) or small variations in wood/construction (e.g. Luke II regular and Luke II BFR, original Majesty and Majesty Artisan).
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

It's like "a Jeep thing" ...most folks just wouldn't understand.
    Good point for a thread... good thing I don't have that problem.

...oh...wait....
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not due to the company we keep vs. your average guitar player NOT on forums/FB groups.
    Normalizing for ALL MusicMan owners, I think we'd be to the top of the curve :P

For me, part of it is that EBMM keeps tweaking, making them better and adding cool colors, and I want them....but I still like the ones I have and can't bear to part with them. Like I've said before (and without trying to make it sexist), women have shoes....we have EBMMs.

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

well..there are maple fretboards,and rosewood..need at least one of each....humbuckers,and mm90s..one of each,single coils,here we go again..just doing the math so far,and I*m up to at least 14...

Only MM JP guitars makes me feel like the guitar is playing by itself and sound great, only them
    JP12 Cherry Sugar(Piezo, Inlays, Headstock) Born 05/14/12
    JP7 Pearl Redburst (Piezo, inlays, headstock) Born 02/13/04
    Fractal axefx2xl+ 2x yamaha hs7 + EV5
    Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah

I've been hooked since my first Morse. And frankly, I've never really been pulled in any other direction no matter how many nice guitars from other manufacturers I play. Not even a conscious choice ... I've just been really, really happy with the instruments and the way the company has treated me.

It is an illness that the medical world will eventually recognise but until then we will continue to be ill and keep buying more balls!
    Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport Natural Quilt DOB 16/05/08

Ernie Ball Music Man EVH Hardtail Red DOB 14/01/93

"What is understood need not be discussed"

Personally I've never understood the need or want for multiple guitars that are exactly the same. But my brand loyalty is extremely high. Earlier this year I almost went for another brand, but in the end picked the Cutlass after all. A decision I've not regretted in the slightest btw!

But I don't like the thought of needlessly collecting something, just to own it.

If I buy a guitar it's to play it.. that's the sole reason.

In fact, even with "just" (well, actually it's very much "just" around here ) 4 EBMM guitars I've discovered that I start to enjoy each individual one a bit less that in the past where my economy forced me to get by with just one or two instruments.

I play 2-3 hours each day, and only if I consistently put that kind of time into a single guitar, day after day, do I really start to bond with it and start to know it intimately. With just 4-5 guitars in the house I've discovered that some ends up with very little play time. Almost makes me feel a bit guilty
    1997 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2011 - Reflex - Hardtail - White
    2016 - LIII BFR - HSS - Blueberry Burst Quilt
    2017 - Cutlass - SSS - Vintage Turquoise

I concur..still use my 1st EBMM geetar..2001 silsp..bought new..modified with graphtec saddles and nut...it*s absolutely perfect for me..so it gets played a ton..the rest seldom....no,wait..the mm90 sport,too....wait..the hbhb sport,hang on...the piezo ss,,,oh,then maybe...etc,etc

In the last 10 years I cannot think of another brand/model of guitar that I've played that I wanted to own. Not a single one.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Hello, my name is Johnnie and I have an addiction...
    Last edited by Razzle; 05-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

I was hooked from the moment I first put my hands on a JP6 back in 2004
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

From the first time I played an Axis back in the early '00s, I knew that I had to have one eventually. Since I got my first one back in '07, I've had trouble finding non-EBMM guitars that I like or want. In '08, I bought a near-mint Fender HM Strat, which was my dream guitar as a teenager, and while I won't let it go for that reason, it only makes it out of the case a couple of times a year. Last year, I bought a Les Paul, just because I thought I should own one. It hasn't been out of the case in 6-8 months. Every time I get a new guitar, I end up going back to my Axis and wondering why I bothered to buy the new one. The Axis and the new ASS get pretty equal playing time, but nothing else even comes close (though my recently purchased JP70 has stolen a little more time than I expected it to.) Like some of the other posters, I don't see a lot of point in having several identical guitars if you're not a touring musician who needs backups, but I do see the point in owning a lot of different EBMMs.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1996 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com