Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Question: Cutlass vs Albert Lee

Question: Cutlass vs Albert Lee

Other than body style, what real differences are there between these 2 guitars? Do they feel the same? Do they sound the same? I haven't found a Cutlass to try out yet

Necks are different shapes - C on AL, V-C on Cutlass. Sounds different pickup wise. Feel against the body is certainly different though both feel good. Different finish on the neck - light satin on Cutlass, Oil on AL. Weight balance is different

I’m also interested in this. Which is lighter? I have a St Vincent. The neck shape same in that as on the Albert Lee, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mistercharlie View Post
    I’m also interested in this. Which is lighter? I have a St Vincent. The neck shape same in that as on the Albert Lee, right?
    Neck is the same shape as an AL on the STV. Cutlasses sound a little more stratty (but hotter than a strat IMO) but AL's have their own distinct voice.

we have two comparison videos on our youtube/MM website:

AL: Albert Lee demos his Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee SSS - YouTube
    Cutlass: Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass Guitar - YouTube
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

The cutlass is a MM strat.
    The AL is the best axe ever. Perfect mix between a strat and a Tele with its very own personality. Mojo for ages.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS PDN 2014 Neptune Blue
    AL HH PDN 2016 Starry Night
    AL MM90 Black

I have both and they both sound different. I just played both to see.

Differences I have noticed:
    - Al is more compact/shorter from bottom of guitar to top of the neck. Same scale length.
    - Neck on the Cutlass is like a brand new strat with hard fingerboard edges. The Al has smoother, rounded edges.
    - Cutlass neck profile is different also has a finish that isn't really noticeable. The Al is the classic oil/carnauba finish.
    - Headstock is longer on Cutlass
    - Electronics are different on the Cutlass
    - Cutlass sounds more like a strat, Al sounds more like a different kind of strat. It's hard to describe.
    - Cutlass allows a little more access to higher frets but I haven't found it difficult to adjust
    - Cutlass bridge plate is larger
    - Cutlass body is thinner than the Al by about 1/4". My guess is to cut down on the weight since the body is larger overall. Al has same thickness as a strat.
    - Cutlass sounds darker overall but it may just be electronics and the rosewood board vs. Maple neck.

To me, the Al is lighter and more comfortable to play but it doesn't sound exactly like a strat. I like the neck shape of the Al better that the Cutlass.The Cutlass feels like it's meant for someone looking for a nicer strat with lots of creative improvements. The neck is so "new" and has an unplayed feeling. If I were to guess, it's because EBMM wants you to break the neck in yourself. Play it for a lifetime and roll the fingerboard edges with a lot of gigs.

I've always wondered why the Al doesn't sound like any strat I've owned, and it may be because of the headstock length and shape of the body, but that's just a guess. I'd love to hear others chime in about this.

Here's a comparison overlay of the two guitars so you can see the differences.
    Question: Cutlass vs Albert Lee-cutlass-al-jpg
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Man, Brett's playing is just great. Just bluesy stuff but his phrasing is tasty and perfect. I enjoy the hell out of watching his clips. Good show.

(edited because I am a spaz!)

Last edited by dibart77; 07-24-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Greg:

Your playing is just great. Just bluesy stuff but your phrasing is tasty and perfect. I enjoy the hell out of watching your clips. Good show.

Oh man - that's not me! That's Brett Kingaman (Burgs). He IS awesome. I am NOT! But I love guitar and playing, and lately I've been into assembling. But I digress. I only WISH I had Brett's chops. I'm a very mediocre player. Doesn't bother me though - I still love playing!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Oh. I knew that. Just saw who posted it and was like, "Him". But I know it's Burgs. Previous post edited!