Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valentine NGD!

Quote Originally Posted by mistercharlie View Post
    I put 10s on mine after a few weeks.
    mistercharlie, would it be possible for you to elaborate on how the 10s sound compared to the stock 11s? My guess is that lighter strings would bring out even more spank and twang from the pickups and tone woods.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

B e a u t i f u l!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Wonder Wipes for Smelly Bum?

Awesome Valentino! They do have some great versatility. You may not be playing any doom metal with it but pretty much everything short of that you're golden.

I went to 9's immediately. iMHO, and people can say I'm nuts, but the difference in tone is so negligible to me as opposed to how much better I play with 9's

What OD pedals do you have already?
    Check out my music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

Happily Own

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    I went to 9's immediately. iMHO, and people can say I'm nuts, but the difference in tone is so negligible to me as opposed to how much better I play with 9's
    Your sound clip sounded great! Definitely no tonal compromises from switching to 9s. They may have improved the sound. IMHO, lighter strings provide more articulation and ping. Some of my guitars really sound best with 9s, and I string them with 9s as a result, despite the fact that I tend to prefer the feel of heavier strings.

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    What OD pedals do you have already?
    Friedman BE100 - my new favorite, especially with higher gain pickups like the Illuminators, less so with the Valentine, but still experimenting ...
    Bogner Harlow - my secret weapon, not so much for gain, but it makes everything sound sweeter
    JHS @ Andy Timmons - works well with the Valentine
    Wampler Hot Wired 2 - took this one off the pedalboard a while back, but found it sounds excellent with the Valentine. The blend control is awesome! Back on the pedalboard.
    Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe - very versatile, sounds good with all my guitars
    Mesa Flux Five - versatile, mainly used when the 5-band EQ is required
    Xotic BB Preamp - sounds great with Valentine
    Wampler Pinnacle - knocked off the pedalboard by the Friedman BE100, which does "the brown sound" better, but still a favorite
    Bogner Burnley - does the plexi thing, but I have other pedals that do that better (i.e. Friedman BE100, Plexi Drive)
    Damage Control Liquid Blues - long forgotten, making a comeback with the Valentine

and a few others not worth mentioning.

My main amp is a Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Awesome Valentino! They do have some great versatility. You may not be playing any doom metal with it but pretty much everything short of that you're golden.
    Agreed! More extreme metal (not my personal interest), not so much. But everything else - totally.

Clean or lightly- to moderately-overdriven tones sound incredible.

I've mentioned the #2 switch with the neck humbucker split, but that #2 position without the neck humbucker NOT split is also very nice. Not quite the sound of the middle position of HH and not quite the sound of a bridge humbucker or single coil, but something in between. Adds a tonal color that neither a HH nor a SSS guitar can get.

That's a lot of ODs. I had the BB Preamp, which is great. I guess I can say the Sound Driven is just tuned different in both the frequencies it enhances, but also the way it enhances them. It's sort of like the BB combined with the sparkle of the EP Booster.

I had the BB midboost version, and it was great. Didn't shine near as much as the Soul Driven. I have many other OD's as well, but they are so tonally different.
    Check out my music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

Happily Own

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)