Not electric until you plug it in
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pick swirls

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Pick swirls

    I'm planning to give a little TLC to my No. 1 Axis, do some things that are overdue and some things that it just deserves after 10 years of service. One of the things on the list is to try to buff out the pick swirls in the finish below the strings. Apparently I beat that spot up when I play. I've used polish on it, but that really doesn't do anything to remove the scratches, so I'm wondering if anyone has any techniques they can share that are safe and will shine it back up again.

    It's not that big a deal as they're hard to notice except in the right light, but if I'm doing the job, I figure I should do it right.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

    http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Assuming a 10 yr old Axis has the same urethane based clear as recent models, I've had good luck with some high end automotive polishes on my JPs. I have used both Pinnacle and Menzerna polishes by hand with great success. Just make sure to use the appropriate foam pad for polishing. You don't want to cut any more than you need to, just like on a car finish.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    Assuming a 10 yr old Axis has the same urethane based clear as recent models, I've had good luck with some high end automotive polishes on my JPs. I have used both Pinnacle and Menzerna polishes by hand with great success. Just make sure to use the appropriate foam pad for polishing. You don't want to cut any more than you need to, just like on a car finish.
    there are a lot of good automotive paint products that work well. I've had luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Great post and info - thank you all!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    there are a lot of good automotive paint products that work well. I've had luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
    Good point, I could see ultimate compound working well also. It's very mild when used with microfiber or polish pad, nothing like other products that contain the word "compound". I would not recommend any straight rubbing compound unless you really know what you're doing. I simply listed products I've tried personally, since I always have those on hand for show cars.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

    My Youtube Channel

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    +1 for the Meguiar's Ultimate.

    I purchased a used JP 6 BFR several years ago with a lot of swirls and small scratches and, with a few hours of gentle polishing, was able to buff it into shiny, like-new condition.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    Good point, I could see ultimate compound working well also. It's very mild when used with microfiber or polish pad, nothing like other products that contain the word "compound". I would not recommend any straight rubbing compound unless you really know what you're doing. I simply listed products I've tried personally, since I always have those on hand for show cars.
    I've used it when restoring a weird one-off EVH I've had along with Taylor guitar polish, and when working on the french polish on my classical in order to buff out some shellac that had pooled up. It can be a little rough, but its not too aggressive.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    I've used it when restoring a weird one-off EVH I've had along with Taylor guitar polish, and when working on the french polish on my classical in order to buff out some shellac that had pooled up. It can be a little rough, but its not too aggressive.
    one-off EVH? pictures or it didn't happen... you know the rules
    EVH Blue - 82854 - Born on 10/9/92
    Axis Tribute Trans Gold - G61323 - Born on 8/10/11

    Axis 2014 BFR PDN Neptune Blue - G57761 - Born on 7/30/14

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the suggestions. A little nervous about using anything even a little abrasive on my finish, but I may give them a try.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

    http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. A little nervous about using anything even a little abrasive on my finish, but I may give them a try.
    When in doubt always go for something labeled for guitar use first. Wonder wipes, taylor guitar polish, even d'******o.

    If that doesn't cut the mustard try stepping up to some of the automotive stuff.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums