New Prodigy

Thread: Work stinks

User Info Menu

Work stinks

So I picked up my baby at lunch after a fresh setup job to get rid of some fretting out issues above the 12th fret on the high strings. I also let the tech talk me up to the Paradigms, so I'm going to give them a whirl. Problem is, I've got about four more hours of work ahead of me before I can do that. Wonder if the boss will buy that I came down with a sudden illness.

I did manage to give it a few minutes unplugged before I put it back in the case and that setup is nice, but I was thinking I wish I had someone here that could do the whole nine yards -- setup, fret polish, oil and wax, get it back in factory fighting form. Guess I could learn to do all that, but I don't trust my skills with this one.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I often say I could get so much more done if I didn't have to spend so much time at work....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    I often say I could get so much more done if I didn't have to spend so much time at work....
    That is an entirely true statement that should sadden the world. Unless you love your work.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

Work stinks unless you work at EB/MM :smug:
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    S I was thinking I wish I had someone here that could do the whole nine yards -- setup, fret polish, oil and wax, get it back in factory fighting form. Guess I could learn to do all that, but I don't trust my skills with this one.
    Fret polish - prep is the key.
    Use masking tape to tape up the fretboard. Then use an x acto knife to reveal the frets.
    As this is a polish not a fret job, use wet and dry paper (dry) with 800/1000/1200/1500/2000 grit paper, Finish off with a metal polish.
    Oil and wax - that's easy too.
    Wipe the neck with naptha (lighter fluid is fine and cheap too) to remove "stuff" from the neck. That will flash off quickly - use the same process of using the wet and dry - probably just go to the 1000 grit. Be careful of the fret board arris- personally I don't like a rolled off edge.
    Then use a paper towel - use Birchwood Casey Gun stock oil - sparingly. Wipe on - wipe straight off (DO NOT LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE) apply a second coat. Then use a "gnats gonnads" amount of wax and apply - I mean this - a small amount.

Doing these two jobs will give you great satisfaction.

Set ups are a whole new ball game. I'm lucky and for the last 20+ years have hung arond my mates guitar workshop - he has a great reputation - and learn't from him. It's all about a tweak here an adjustment there ... but you have to know what you are doing. In my playing days I would not adjust a truss rod - now it's really easy because I understand from learning. - I DON'T DO GUITAR ELECTRICS!!!!!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I'm happy with my setup guy. I just have this idyllic memory of that first factory setup on the guitar. Probably because it was the first really nice guitar that I ever owned and was miles and miles better than anything else I'd ever played. Still is.

I'm working myself up to fret polishing, oil and wax and buffing out pick swirls. I'm scared of touching it with anything abrasive. I may experiment on a few of my pawn shop guitars first to get comfortable. I tried filing some sharp fret ends on a $100 Nuno model that I bought on a lark a couple of years back, and that didn't go so well. Of course, polishing is much less invasive.

Spent several hours last night with the Paradigm strings, and I like them. I didn't try any torture tests or anything like that because, hey, they're brand new strings, and I don't do a lot of hard pounding or whammy bombs. It was just regular playing. They certainly feel like my old Slinkys, but in my completely unscientific observations, they seem a bit louder than my regular Slinkys, and the attack seems a little more pronounced with them. Not sure if I'll stick with them or go back to the regular strings. I don't have a big problem with breakage, so it will probably come down to how long they sound good.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Work stinks unless you work at EB/MM :smug:
    Nice Casey.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Work stinks-work1-jpg

Is it over yet?