BFR October 2019
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Hayes and his EBMMs

User Info Menu

Hunter Hayes and his EBMMs

I've been meaning to get this posted for a couple of weeks, but we were able to see Hunter Hayes doing a show in an intimate setting for his label. It was a quick set, about 7-8 songs, with one of those being with a guest, Charlie Worsham.

Hunter was playing three different EBMM guitars. One was a stock white Cutlass, but with an apparently new design for the decals on the headstock. He played that one with the term bridge on the deck, and no bar in the bridge.

The other two appeared to be identical except in color. Both were HSS, with roasted maple necks and boards, and with brass colored piezo saddles on a classic EBMM hard tail bridge. They had an additional knob in a strat-like layout, and with a small toggle switch positioned between the 2nd and 3rd knobs. We got to speak to his tech after the set, and the third knob is the piezo volume, and I believe he said the toggle is just on-off for the piezo. The piezo has its own 1/4" out on each guitar, and when they use the piezo (they didn't during this set) they run a separate wireless pack on the strap for that output.

I was very impressed with Hunter's playing. I would say he doesn't take a backseat to any other guitar-playing Nashville front man. His style is different from others, but the playing was superb.

I'll be really curious to see how closely his collaboration with EBMM resembles the prototypes he was playing. I'm hopeful that gets announced this summer, but we'll see.

Hunter Hayes and his EBMMs-img_0018-jpg Hunter Hayes and his EBMMs-img_0014-jpg Hunter Hayes and his EBMMs-img_0026-jpg
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Do two of those have roasted maple necks?
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agt View Post
    Do two of those have roasted maple necks?
    Yes, but read the original message. There are several other differences from the stock Cutlass.
    ---------------

User Info Menu

I've held off on ordering the HSS Cutlass because I really like the specs on the Hunter Hays model. If his sig model comes out, I'll be ordering one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    I've held off on ordering the HSS Cutlass because I really like the specs on the Hunter Hays model. If his sig model comes out, I'll be ordering one.
    I'll be really curious to see if the pickups in his model are the same as the stock HSS. I didn't think to ask about that at the time. I also wonder what neck finish it will have.
    ---------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    No announcements in the pipe on the Hunter models. When we were first releasing the Modern Classics we were going to have a Joe Walsh Cutlass, a Hunter Cutlass, and at least one other if I remember correctly. Hasn't quite panned out yet.

Joe doesn't really commit to one guitar, so that's understandable. At least he likes Armadas and Cutlasses, I think the Aramada deserves more big name players. Hunter has been on a very heavy touring schedule for a while, so maybe he just hasn't had time to come to SLO to keep working on it. I'll ask around.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

User Info Menu

Make an HSS with a nickel plated humbucker, piezo and a roasted maple neck w/rosewood fretboard (or better yet a solid rosewood neck ) and call it the JLB model.

User Info Menu

Hunter's white HSS was the first one I saw, so I'm simply hoping that color scheme comes out. It shows up on the website, but not quite in stores yet. I'd love it with chrome humbucker (and hopefully one day a Floyd), but I don't think I can hold out much longer, so I might just order the SSS very soon. Played one this weekend and was won over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    No announcements in the pipe on the Hunter models. When we were first releasing the Modern Classics we were going to have a Joe Walsh Cutlass, a Hunter Cutlass, and at least one other if I remember correctly. Hasn't quite panned out yet.

Joe doesn't really commit to one guitar, so that's understandable. At least he likes Armadas and Cutlasses, I think the Aramada deserves more big name players. Hunter has been on a very heavy touring schedule for a while, so maybe he just hasn't had time to come to SLO to keep working on it. I'll ask around.
    I hadn't heard anything about Joe Walsh and EBMM until I saw the picture the company accounts reposted on IG over the weekend of him playing the Valentine, which was cool. I hope the project with Hunter pans out - could be a really nice twist on the Cutlass, which is already a great guitar!
    ---------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post

Was the third one Mick Mars - Cutlass with a Floyd?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    I think that's the one. Thanks!
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

User Info Menu

HH Sig HSS piezo hard-tail roasted maple would be the jam! Looks great to me.

User Info Menu

James Valentine recently posted a pic of Joe Walsh playing a Valentine... so I guess he does like to change it up... and likes EBMMs!

User Info Menu

Hunter is playing only Cutlass guitars still. Check out his three new videos. All EBs. And they look and sound fantastic.

Hunter Hayes - Rescue (Official Music Video) - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    That's the one I'm holding my breath for...

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!