BFR Feb 2020

Thread: Reflex pickup heights

User Info Menu

Reflex pickup heights

Hi guys,

Does anyone around here know what the factory specs for pickup heights are on the Reflex? (and how they are measuring them).

I bought mine used, and would like to see if it has been messed with.

I know pickup heights are really a matter of personal taste, but I still think it would be useful to know what the profs at EBMM intended, and take it from there.

I think the tone is currently a bit too muddy in series (the fat sounding) mode, so I almost always end up using it in parallel. But what I want from this guitar is really the singing tones along the lines of an LP.

Currently I have borrowed a LP, and set that one up according to Gibson factory specs. I note that they recommend that humbuckers are set pretty damn close to the strings.. but on my Reflex they are currently backed quite far down...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Kasper
    1997 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2011 - Reflex - Hardtail - White
    2016 - LIII BFR - HSS - Blueberry Burst Quilt
    2017 - Cutlass - SSS - Vintage Turquoise

User Info Menu

Contact EBMM customer service and I'm sure they will gladly let you know exactly what the factory specs are.

Contact | Ernie Ball
    EBMM BFR Morse Dark Lord Tahitian Blue w/SD Pearly Gates pups S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    EBMM AL HT Trans Walnut Rosewood Neck S/N G77991 DOB 9/16/16
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Bridge pickup: 3.2 mm (4/32") measuring from bottom of the open low E string. A little closer on the high E string.

I see nothing listed for the Reflex neck pickup but I'm pretty sure it'll be 4.0 mm (5/32") on the low E string, again a little closer on the high E string. Go 0.5 mm to 1 mm lower it a little if it's louder than the bridge pickup.

Remember that an LP is usually loaded with PAF style pickups, which are brighter and quieter than the Reflex pickups (which are the same pickups used in the Axis and HH Albert Lee). If the guitar is not original wiring, 500kΩ volume and tone would be standard. 250kΩ will be muddy to some people's ears.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input! Will try those numbers and see how it goes
    1997 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2011 - Reflex - Hardtail - White
    2016 - LIII BFR - HSS - Blueberry Burst Quilt
    2017 - Cutlass - SSS - Vintage Turquoise