Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: New-To-Me Cutlass, Very Impressed

New-To-Me Cutlass, Very Impressed

I've been all over the place guitar-wise over the past 10 years but didn't have a production S-type guitar that sounded right to me. I recently splurged on two new-to-me guitars thinking I'd keep one and sell the other later on. I had high hopes for the Cutlass but was very weary of the silent circuit (had it in an old Silo and disconnected it promptly). The Cutlass was up against a Suhr Classic Pro, a guitar that retails for about $700 more, but after hearing many demos of the Cutlass (Burg's was the one that convinced me to buy it) I had to give it a try. So after a few days with them, here's my observations of the Cutlass:

- The new silent circuit is heaps (for my Oz friends) better than the old system. The best way I can describe it is less attenuation especially in the high end. It just works without being intrusive.
    - The stock pickups just plain sound great. I'll use this guitar for cleans 85% of the time and these pickups are darn near perfect in every position (I usually use the notch positions and neck only).
    - The string tension is very low, which makes for super easy playing .but. the strings rattle more than expected so I had to go from 9's to 10's and raise the action a bit. All is good.
    - The neck shape is very comfortable though the string width is quite narrow. I would love to see this guitar with the waxed neck finish.
    - I usually rest the bridge on the body anyway, so I like the bridge design. I read through old comments on another site where people were asking if the "cover" could be removed from the bridge. I like it just the way it is.
    - The biggest nitpick I have with the Cutlass is the lack of a 3rd control pot. I prefer master vol/tone controls in every guitar except a Strat only because I rewire it to use the bottom tone control as a blend pot to bring in the bridge pickup when the neck pickup is on. Sorta like a Tele #2 tone but I can control how much volume the bridge pickup gets so it doesn't get too spiky. My needs are way different than most so it's not an issue with the guitar at all, just a personal preference.

Overall the Cutlass is quite different than the Suhr. I prefer the tone of the Cutlass but I do like the slightly wider string spacing on the Suhr. The point is that better doesn't always have to cost more, and even though boo-teek fanboys may tend to snub the Cutlass for how it looks, it's their loss. I'm very happy with both guitars and may end up keeping both, but only if I get some new pickups in the Suhr as I'm not thrilled with what's in it now.

TLDR - The Cutlass is an outstanding guitar for the money.
    Last edited by Jason2112; 07-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    '08 Silhouette Special - Carbon Blue Pearl
    '16 Cutlass - Ivory White
    '14 Axis Super Sport Semi-hollow - Honey Burst

Red Star Guitars
    www.redstarguitars.com

Agree, it's really good! Best value for the money, imho. Now let's see some pictures!
    EBMM - AL MM90 White
    EBMM - AL HH Black Sugar Roasted Maple
    EBMM - Reflex White
    EBMM - Armada Black flamed
    EBMM - JP7 White
    EBMM - JP6 Silver
    EBMM - Cutlass Vintage Turquoise
    EBMM - Stingray Starry Night

Mesa Boogie RA-100
    Marshall SL5
    Yamaha THR5

i really do like mine,great guitar.

I don't SEE any new Cutlass. No idea what you're on about mate.
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

My Cutlass has kicked my Strat to the curb.

No pics means it doesn't exist!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Congrats! Love mine!
    "DreamTheaterRules" in all the other forums

Of course, where are my manners.

Since there aren't any options other than color with the Cutlass, it looks like every other white one, but I like this color the best. Wish there was a tobacco burst option...
    Last edited by Jason2112; 07-02-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Red Star Guitars
    www.redstarguitars.com

Very nice!!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

I agree that the white looks the best on both cutlass basses and guitars. Besides, Jimi liked white strats, can't go wrong.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
    Of course, where are my manners.

Since there aren't any options other than color with the Cutlass, it looks like every other white one, but I like this color the best. Wish there was a tobacco burst option...

It's simple, really. Jimi at Woodstock and Trower Live. There is only ONE color scheme for a strat style guitar! White, white, maple! End of story! (In other words, I chose exactly the same one you have and wouldn't have it any other way!)

Love your guitar!
    "DreamTheaterRules" in all the other forums

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    I agree that the white looks the best on both cutlass basses and guitars. Besides, Jimi liked white strats, can't go wrong.
    I've kinda got a "thing" for white guitars I guess...

The top S-type is a custom relic that I just built for a friend. Kinda says something when I could build myself just about any guitar but I put my money down on a MM.
    Last edited by Jason2112; 07-02-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Red Star Guitars
    www.redstarguitars.com