Ultra Burly

Thread: Lower tunings?

User Info Menu

Lower tunings?

Hi!

With the removal of the JP Baritone models/variants, which one of the JP models is best suited for lower tunings like drop C or even as far down as drop A?

Thanks in advance
    JP6 Dargie Delight II Fully Loaded DOB Sep. 28th -09
    JP7 BFR Bahama Blue Burst with Rosewood Neck DOB Feb. 20th -14

WillyD is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi Tanax, many JP7 players utilize dropped tunings.

Have you considered the Silhouette bass guitar?

Silhouette Bass Guitar | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man
    "he played like he was in jail- behind a few bars & couldn't find the key"

User Info Menu

Despite not being long-scale guitars, the 25.5" scale length guitars would allow for a 2 whole-step down-tuning (maybe more, not sure). You might need to install an extra spring in order to balance the tension of the larger-gauge strings, but it should be do-able. You could setup your JP7 a whole-step lower, in order to achieve the A tuning.
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 06-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

I keep my JPXI in D standard (one whole step down) and JP12 in C standard (two whole steps down). For D standard I'm running 10 gauge strings; C standard 11 gauge. Still even running only two tremolo springs in both. I just adjusted the claw screws appropriately to keep the bridge level.

The strings definitely have more of an elastic feel than they did in standard turning with a set of 9's, so my setup may not be comfortable for everybody. I don't hit the strings hard, and bends are definitely easier on the fingers this way!

On point with your question, I believe any of the current JP models would behave as such, all being 25.5 inch scale.
    Last edited by ohbugger; 06-26-2017 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I keep my JP6 in C standard tuning with 12-60 strings on it - works a treat, no issues at all
    Balls:

2017 JP6 - Starry Night
    2012 JP6 BFR - Black Quilt
    25th Anniversary - Venetian Red
    2014 Albert Lee HH - White
    2001 Silhouette Special - Las Vegas Gold

User Info Menu

How do you guys go with the nut for the lower tunings? I generally play in standard with 9-46's but want to do some recording in C standard with some thicker gauge strings but I dont want to affect the nut on my JP15.
    JP15 Quilt Sahara Burst #G59089 (02 Nov 15)

Progressive Metal Band: Metanoia
    www.facebook.com/wearemetanoiaband
    www.instagram.com/wearemetanoia/

User Info Menu

I did have to sand the slots a bit wider to accommodate the thicker strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post
    I did have to sand the slots a bit wider to accommodate the thicker strings.
    I'm the same. I think you'll run into intonation and tension issues if tuning down to C with 9s.
    Balls:

2017 JP6 - Starry Night
    2012 JP6 BFR - Black Quilt
    25th Anniversary - Venetian Red
    2014 Albert Lee HH - White
    2001 Silhouette Special - Las Vegas Gold

User Info Menu

Alright so I should be fairly safe then to tune my JP6 down to even C but should probably change strings to thicker ones (I got the standard strings that came with it, I think that's 9s) to at least 10s?

As I understood it I should probably also install a third spring? How do I do that and what's the reason for it?

Thank you all for your replies!
    JP6 Dargie Delight II Fully Loaded DOB Sep. 28th -09
    JP7 BFR Bahama Blue Burst with Rosewood Neck DOB Feb. 20th -14

User Info Menu

Setting up the guitar with a thicker gauge string-set, thus higher tension, will cause the bridge to elevate. The extra spring will pull the bridge back. Of course, you will need to do all the fine-tuning to bring the bridge into its original position and in perfect alignment with the body.

PS. For the 2 whole-steps down-tuning you should go with Power Slinkies, Beefy Slinkies or Not-Even Slinkies. Beefy and Not-Even are recommended.
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 06-30-2017 at 05:47 AM.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

I tune my JP7 to drop G#. I use Slinky Cobalt 10-62. The only problem I got was the 7th string intonation to set it properly I had to move the saddle far back what caused another problem - the "break angle" reached ~90. In this situation the pressure of the string on the saddle was to small and the string was buzzing (on saddle). I had to file the saddle a little so that the string goes from bridge to the saddle at <90 angle. In fact I just did what EBMM guys did when redesigning saddles few years ago:

How to tell if JP6 BFR has Stainless Steel frets?-bfrf1jp6_bridge-jpg
    "It's taken all my life to learn what not to play"
    JP7 BFR (Trans Black) | Website: M-Workshop | Instagram

User Info Menu

wow!