Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on neck profiles, next purchase...

Go silo special if you like your ass. I have very small hands as well. I have only Axis and Silo in my collection of 10 EBMM guitars these days. Sold my Luke, sold my AL.

They are all soooooo good. Such a hard choice. I love them all but I continue to gravitate toward the Reflex and the Valentine. Every time I pick one up lately, it's one of those two. The Reflex has me particularly captivated. Of course, the only Reflex profile currently being built is the GameChanger but there are plenty of Reflexes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrmckinney View Post
    They are all soooooo good. Such a hard choice. I love them all but I continue to gravitate toward the Reflex and the Valentine. Every time I pick one up lately, it's one of those two. The Reflex has me particularly captivated. Of course, the only Reflex profile currently being built is the GameChanger but there are plenty of Reflexes out there.

But, seriously, why not buy the GC? It gives you the reflex, plus 1000 other guitars. Amazing instrument.
    "To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." Randy Rhoads

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    But, seriously, why not buy the GC? It gives you the reflex, plus 1000 other guitars. Amazing instrument.
    I know that wasn't directed at me, but the GC would be wasted on me.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1882 View Post
    I know that wasn't directed at me, but the GC would be wasted on me.
    You might be surprised. It's easy as pie to set up both banks to the tones you want. I have Bank A set to humbucker tones, Bank B to single coils. Done. Plug it in to your amp and play. Never have to set it again if you like the tones. If you like the reflex, set the reflex tones. Axis, you can do that. It's so versatile. I think there is a notion that you have to tinker or constantly play with it, but you don't. It is literally a Reflex, but with a million other tones if you should want or need different tones. No downside. If you are interested in a Reflex, which I think you might be, the GC is a Reflex and a whole lot more. Worth a hard look. You don't have to use its potential, but it is there if you ever need it. My two cents. Not trying to hijack your thread, so I'll be quiet now!
    "To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." Randy Rhoads

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Hijack away!

It's all useful information and I appreciate everyones input.

Hmm, so how does the Reflex neck feel then? I kinda wrote it off simply because it is a similar shape to the Axis which I already have.

It IS a fantastic guitar. The GameChanger in HSH config is different from the Reflex/HH GameChanger. For one, the GameChanger is heavier. The GameChanger is available with a piezo. There is the tech portion of the GameChanger that may not suit some. I own both an HSH GameChanger and an HH Reflex. I will say that the piezo in the GameChanger is one of the best (and I have 3 EBs with piezos). I love the GameChanger but for some reason I always pickup my Reflex. My GC has a maple board vs RW on the Reflex... maybe that's it, I don't know. I will say that I have found, as I've mentioned in another post, that the HSH GameChanger and the Armada sound incredibly similar, IMO... the Reflex, not so much.

Quite local to me over here in England there is a 90's Silhouette (3 single coils) for sale for 450, which is probably about $550-575... Is that a good deal? It is a little beat up but I don't usually mind that. I'm not a fan of single coils but I guess they could be replaced with a stacked humbucker... The link to it is at the bottom of this post.

Has the neck profile of the Silhouette changed over the years?

Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette 1990 Trans Red | Reverb

It IS a fantastic guitar. The GameChanger in HSH config is different from the Reflex/HH GameChanger. For one, the GameChanger is heavier. The GameChanger is available with a piezo. There is the tech portion of the GameChanger that may not suit some. I own both an HSH GameChanger and an HH Reflex. I will say that the piezo in the GameChanger is one of the best (and I have 3 EBs with piezos). I love the GameChanger but for some reason I always pickup my Reflex. My GC has a maple board vs RW on the Reflex... maybe that's it, I don't know. I will say that I have found, as I've mentioned in another post, that the HSH GameChanger and the Armada sound incredibly similar, IMO... the Reflex, not so much.

It is heavier, especially compared to my ASS semi. But still lighter than a LP or Strat. I have RW on both of mine. Like maple fingerboard on my HH ASS semi, but like the RW on GCs too. I'm sure you can get Armada or any other humbucker sound out of the GC. Reflex is stock Axis pups, though, correct? Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course.

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Personally I would say don't go for that.. it's an older model so the neck heel and locking tuners aren't included which for me are the deal breakers.

Hijack away!

It's all useful information and I appreciate everyones input.

Hmm, so how does the Reflex neck feel then? I kinda wrote it off simply because it is a similar shape to the Axis which I already have.
    Doesn't have the same asymmetrical carve as the axis and slightly more substantial. To my hands, anyway. GC also has a tone block. Same body shape as axis, though not the same size, and definitely not the same guitar at all.

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Doesn't have the same asymmetrical carve as the axis and slightly more substantial. To my hands, anyway. GC also has a tone block. Same body shape as axis, though not the same size, and definitely not the same guitar at all.
    Agreed. That's the feel I get, too. Neck feels bigger (no idea the actual measurements). Reflex/GC have the tone block with definitely adds something in a good way. Body is larger than Axis. Bottom line is that the GC is a monster of a guitar. Incredibly versatile and comfortable. As for weight, to me it feels heavier than any strat I've owned and heavier than the standard Reflex, but lighter than any LP I've owned. You couldn't go wrong with either a GC or Reflex in my opinion. I would buy them again without question.
    BTW, my Reflex has the solid rosewood neck so that may contribute to some of my perceived differences.

Quite local to me over here in England there is a 90's Silhouette (3 single coils) for sale for 450, which is probably about $550-575... Is that a good deal?
    If the frets are in decent shape I'd say yes! If not, add the price of a refret to those numbers and then ask yourself how you'd feel about the price. Even then, I'd be thinking about it if I was in the market for a 24 fret Silhouette!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Agreed. That's the feel I get, too. Neck feels bigger (no idea the actual measurements). Reflex/GC have the tone block with definitely adds something in a good way. Body is larger than Axis. Bottom line is that the GC is a monster of a guitar. Incredibly versatile and comfortable. As for weight, to me it feels heavier than any strat I've owned and heavier than the standard Reflex, but lighter than any LP I've owned. You couldn't go wrong with either a GC or Reflex in my opinion. I would buy them again without question.
    BTW, my Reflex has the solid rosewood neck so that may contribute to some of my perceived differences.

My AL was solid RW. Felt so good. I just really ended up bonding hard with the ASS and GC. I keep my ASS MM90 and a GC beside the amp and play both pretty much every day. I would guess the GC is about the same weight as a strat--would be curious to see the actual weights. I haven't played a strat in years. My sense of weight has been distorted by the semi MM90: that guitar is so, so light. The GC has great ergonomics though. Different guitars, but love both.

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1