Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on neck profiles, next purchase...

Advice on neck profiles, next purchase...

Hello all, first post here!

Well I've totally fallen in love with Musicman.

After stumbling across a beaten up old Axis Sport at a bargain price a couple of years ago all the Fenders and Gibson's are gone and I now have just an ASS and a Luke.

Advice on neck profiles, next purchase...-fb_img_1499859601056-jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of trying many before I buy in England, there aren't many dealers here. So most of my purchases are done on gut instinct!

Both my Super Sport and Luke are awesome, they feel different to each other as most will know but still perfect for me in their own respective ways. I have quite small hands and they really suit me.

Looking at maybe Stingray or a Silhouette model next. I play mostly hard rock/metal but love the look of them. I know the Stingray is a bit more vintage based but a couple of high output humbuckers would sort out any issues there if the stock ones didn't cut it.

So just wondering if anyone can advise me on how these necks feel in comparison to what I already own?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by adam1882; 07-12-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Although I would certainly wait for many more knowledgable MM users, I just wanted to chime in as it seems we're in the same position. I picked up a used Luke recently and all of my other guitars are sitting on stands. Since then I've been trying to play whatever music man models I can to decide on a next purchase. I think the Silhouette or Silhouette Special may be more up your alley than a stingray. I had a chance to try one and the neck was phenomenal (I also have rather small hands, so smaller/thinner necks work great for me). I also tried a Steve Morse blue burst last week but found the neck to be a tad on the chunky side.

You should also check out the JPX or JPXi. I found the necks to feel quite different than the regular JP6 models. Hope some of this helps!

I've tried a few StingRays over the past 12-18 months and would agree with DC23 - the StingRay necks are pretty similar to the Axis but slightly fatter. Plus the StingRay is a good-sized guitar; it's almost 3" longer than the Luke or the Axis, so it's going to have a different feel.

I've owned 3 Silo Specials - the neck on those (or the Silo) is probably going to be closer to the Axis neck than the StingRay neck.

Thanks guys.

Such a hard choice, all the guitars seem amazing and been mightily impressed with everything I've played so far.

I love Dream Theater but the JP models seem a bit too 'metal' for me, I like heavy music but prefer the more traditional styles of guitars.

Welcome to the addiction! Great family here.
    I can't answer your question about the newer models but I will point out the the JP / Majesty series, while being fabulous guitars, have thin, shredder like necks.
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

"Welcome to the addiciton" haha, sums it up perfectly.

I'm not so much into the shredding side, I play lead but definitely nothing spectacular. I had an old 80's Kramer Pacer Carrera and I found the neck to be way too wide for me.

I don't mind guitars varying in feel (I guess that is the point?), the Axis and Luke feel very different but I love them both.

If you like the Axis, a Reflex or GameChanger might be up your alley. In terms of versatility, there is nothing in the same galaxy as the GameChanger. The HH has Axis pickups and HSH has custom pickups that are very similar but voiced slightly different.

I have also had an AL HH (great guitar, but fell in love with the Axis semi and GameChanger) and a Silhouette HSH. AL neck is chunkier than Axis. Silhouette pickup output is noticeably lower than an axis, but it's a ninja. Wish I would have kept the Silhouette.

Hope this helps.
    “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” - Keith Richards

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Black Star HT-1
    Bad Cat 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by adam1882 View Post
    I don't mind guitars varying in feel (I guess that is the point?), the Axis and Luke feel very different but I love them both.
    I can't imagine you would find a Silo uncomfortable, in that case. I switch from Luke3, to Axis, to Silo, to Reflex, to Valentine with no issue at all. The necks on all of them feel wonderful in their own way.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Really appreciating all the input guys!

I don't really like the look of the AL to be honest.

The Game Changer interests me, but it might be wasted on me!

I could probably grow to love any MM neck, the Axis and Luke were both spur of the moment purchases without trying first, or did I just get lucky?

Decisions, decisions!

Also, is there any difference between the necks on the Silo and the Silo Special?

Yah sure Silo is 24 frets and Silo Special is 22 frets.

Glenn |B)
    1. Silhouette Special in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    2. Silhouette Special in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/02] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    3. Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/01]
    4. Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/11] BFR

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Yah sure Silo is 24 frets and Silo Special is 22 frets.

Glenn |B)
    Sorry Glenn, I knew that. I should have been more specific, I meant the profile/shape?

Quote Originally Posted by adam1882 View Post
    Sorry Glenn, I knew that. I should have been more specific, I meant the profile/shape?
    Going from my Silhouette Special to occasional few minutes on a buddy's Silhouette I can't say I've ever noticed difference in profile and to the best of my knowledge they are the same carve. But with 22 vs 24 fret necks, the body shapes are a little different (because the neck pockets are different distances from the bridge). So the two guitars feel a little different to play. And of course the neck humbucker adds an additional difference. Yes they are very similar, but they are different instruments, one is not just a 22/24 fret version of the other.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Going from my Silhouette Special to occasional few minutes on a buddy's Silhouette I can't say I've ever noticed difference in profile and to the best of my knowledge they are the same carve. But with 22 vs 24 fret necks, the body shapes are a little different (because the neck pockets are different distances from the bridge). So the two guitars feel a little different to play. And of course the neck humbucker adds an additional difference. Yes they are very similar, but they are different instruments, one is not just a 22/24 fret version of the other.
    That's more the answer I was looking for

So I'm assuming the Special leans more towards feeling like the Axis than the original Silo does...

Well, kind of, if you just think of the 22/24 fret thing, but not really, no. Body carves and body shape are so different I just couldn't ever say that anymore than I'd compare the either of silos to an Armada or Reflex. Perhaps the Special leans more towards feeling like a Luke or Morse than the original Silo does but the number of frets is just one part of the story.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.