Ultra Burly
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music Man Axis strings height

User Info Menu

If you are replacing it with the same screw, you should not need any wood sticks or fillers in the hole. When the screw is first installed, it makes grooves in the wood. You just need to engage those same grooves, and you will be fine. What you can do is put the screw all the way through the body, and then let the tip rest in the hole on the neck. Back the screw out a few turns, and you should feel/hear it settle into the groove. This works great for any type of threaded situation as well. By spinning it backwards you ensure you are properly in the threads.

If you were installing different thread pitch screw, then you would probably want to fill the holes and re-drill, as they will not match the previous screw grooves.

Shimming has been a part of the final setup for bolt neck guitars for quite some time. Early Music Man basses had the "micro-tilt" style neck joint on them, which actually has a little bolt that allows you to set the neck angle. A shim is , IMHO, far more effective and stable than a micro-tilt system, which uses a small bolt to put pressure on a metal insert on the bottom of the neck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Many thanks for the explanation! As I said...i'm still waiting for my Axis to come...(almost a year!) But I try to be as ready as I can before the time comes.

:-)