Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and just bought a Majesty

User Info Menu

New here and just bought a Majesty

Hey Everyone - Just wanted to say hello and share that I purchased my first Music Man yesterday. I think I got a pretty good deal on a new Majesty that went on clearance at Guitar Center for $1999. I typically hate buying guitars that have been hanging in shops but this one seemed to be maintained well. Right now I also own an E-II Horizon, which I absolutely love. Here are some of my initial observations:

1. The Majesty is smaller than I thought it would be. Seems to be a common theme but I expected something larger for some reason, especially since Petrucci is so hulked up these days and it looks big on him.

2. I plugged the Majesty into the exact same rig setup I had been using with the Horizon to compare the pickups. I was surprised that the Dimarzio Illuminators are much hotter the Duncans in my Horizon (at least to my ears).

3. I changed strings to 9's and had to adjust the claw a little bit (which I expected) and the also loosened the truss rod a little. I noticed that the truss rod wheel is pretty loose if I try to go counterclockwise any further. It was setup with super low action from Guitar Center and the 2nd fret was buzzing. I'm a little surprised the truss rod wheel is already so loose. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I really do like this guitar so far. I've been playing it nonstop since yesterday afternoon. It's probably going to take me a few months to really size it up compared to some other guitars I've owned, but it seems extremely soiid so far. Oh yeah... here's a pic.

New here and just bought a Majesty-img_6123-jpg

Thanks
    Westegg

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. That is a beautiful guitar.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

Awesome way to join the forum, with the holy grail. The Majesty is a life changer. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar indeed! Welcome to the forum.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst D.O.B. 04/06/09
    Axis Translucent Gold D.O.B. 03/17/08
    Axis Super Sport HH Candy Red D.O.B. 06/11/07
    Axis Super Sport HH Trans Blue D.O.B. 02/04/13
    Axis Super Sport HH Blue Pearl D.O.B. 10/16/01
    Silhouette Special HSS Carbon Blue Pearl D.O.B. 07/26/07
    Silhouette Special HSS Black D.O.B. 03/05/14
    Luke Bhodi Blue D.O.B. 00/00/98

Check out our Band
    https://thestoneberries.com
    Or on Facebook The Stoneberries

User Info Menu

Congratulations and happy playing times!! =D

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

As far as the truss wheel turning loosely, it may just take some time for the neck to acclimate. I notice this on mine every now and then, typically during summer when humidity is slightly higher, but it eventually seems to get snug again after some time, and eventually I'll need to tighten again during the next change in seasons. After the initial setup with 9s, I've never had to move the truss adjustment any more than 1/2 turn, typically less than a 1/4.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    As far as the truss wheel turning loosely, it may just take some time for the neck to acclimate. I notice this on mine every now and then, typically during summer when humidity is slightly higher, but it eventually seems to get snug again after some time, and eventually I'll need to tighten again during the next change in seasons. After the initial setup with 9s, I've never had to move the truss adjustment any more than 1/2 turn, typically less than a 1/4.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I only had to adjust the wheel between an eighth and quarter to get it right. A little seems to go a long way.

User Info Menu

Love the majesty, congrats!

That was a smokin' deal (I think I saw that one), super rare they down to that level (but you do see it on occasion).
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple
    '05 JP6 Medallion Gold
    '09 Axis Amber Quilt
    '11 JP6 Pearl White
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    '18 Majesty Monarchy Majestic Purple

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Westegg View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know. I only had to adjust the wheel between an eighth and quarter to get it right. A little seems to go a long way.
    Congrats on the new axe! My Majesty is by far the best guitar that I have ever purchased. It still continues to blow my mind every time I strap it on, and I've owned it for more than two years now!

In my experience, very small turns of the truss rod and a day or two for it to settle works very well with the Majesty. Also, keep in mind that the Majesty plays the best with a little fret buzz (that doesn't sound through the amp), if you like lower action.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Westegg View Post
    I typically hate buying guitars that have been hanging in shops but this one seemed to be maintained well.

Welcome to the forum and gratz on the new Majesty.

As to the guitar maybe hanging for a while and being in good shape....at my local GC, they currently have 3 Majesty's in stock in the Platinum room. 2 Monarchy's and an Arctic Dream. The Monarchy's are literally under lock and key in plexiglass displays. The Arctic Dream is 20 feet up. I'm guessing this eliminates 90% of 'never gonna buy it' tinkering. If yours was stored in a similar manner, it's no surprise it's in good shape.

Anyways, enjoy.
    2014 Majesty - Polar Noir
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

User Info Menu

Agree with most - my Majesty is my finest guitar along with my Collings 290.

And JP is bulky, but he's short!!
    JP Majesty || Steve Morse Std. || Reflex Gamechanger || Valentine || ALHH
    https://ericjasonbrock.bandcamp.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bhull View Post
    As to the guitar maybe hanging for a while and being in good shape....at my local GC, they currently have 3 Majesty's in stock in the Platinum room. 2 Monarchy's and an Arctic Dream.
    I should move to wherever you live! I spent the last few days calling every store, small and big, within 4 hours of me and there is only 1 arctic dream that I could find in stock. I really should've broken out the plastic and jumped on the monarchy preorder.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    I should move to wherever you live! I spent the last few days calling every store, small and big, within 4 hours of me and there is only 1 arctic dream that I could find in stock. I really should've broken out the plastic and jumped on the monarchy preorder.
    I had the same problem! Couldn't find one to play nearby and drove out of town to pick up the Majesty on Saturday. I did however get to play a JP16 a few weeks ago that was also on clearance for $1899 but passed. I think I made a better decision with the Polar Noir

User Info Menu

I can't wait to play a Monarchy! But would have had trouble passing on a JP16 w/Floyd for $1899! Dang. What a deal!
    "DreamTheaterRules" in all the other forums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheaterRLZ View Post
    I can't wait to play a Monarchy! But would have had trouble passing on a JP16 w/Floyd for $1899! Dang. What a deal!
    Well, if anyone's interested, Drumcityguitarland.com has the same guitar available for $1899 as well.