Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Valentine - Neck Question

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf14 View Post
    I just have been buying guitars recently that filled gaps my collection might've had. The Val doesn't necessarily do that, but it's so nice looking that I might end up keeping it anyway! LOL
    Congrats on the new guitar! I understand looking at the tones a guitar is capable of producing and trying to optimize your collection in that sense. One of mine is also currently making me feel a bit like I perhaps don't need it.

Another way to look at it in this case: Does the new Valentine cover a range of tones that might otherwise necessitate taking more than one guitar to handle it without the Valentine? I don't own a tele (my son has one in the house) and can't see myself ever purchasing a tele of any make now that I have the Valentine. As it stands, I still have one of the NAMM special edition Valentines on order, but got my trans maroon one last month rather than wait another 9-10 months for the NAMM one. My current inclination is to string one of the Valentines with flats when the second one arrives. So, perhaps what you really need is TWO Valentines?
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    So, perhaps what you really need is TWO Valentines?

Stop saying that. I'm so wanting one of those Ivory White models, but can't even remotely justify it. Lol

My music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

Happily Own

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)

Still not head over heels in love, but it's getting a little better. My biggest thing now is that it doesn't necessarily fill any gap in tones for me compared to my other guitars (admittedly I probably have too many guitars at this point!) so it comes down to whether or not I keep it for another reason (like how good looking it is!!)

This is kind of rare for me - usually I know right away whether a guitar is a keeper or not...this one isn't like that so it's like I'm in uncharted territory! (And it's not inexpensive which gives the decision more weight.)
    fwiw, I'm in a similar spot. I'd been curious about the Valentine since they came out. When the SBMM version was announced at NAMM, I ordered one of those on the spot, and have had plenty of time to get to 'know' it.
    It's absolutely a fabulous guitar with it's own personality, and I have no complaints with it. However, after the honeymoon phase, I'm just not really bonding with it. It doesn't really give me anything special that I don't already have, and it certainly does not replace any of my Tele's. I'm considering moving it on at this point.
    Now, one with an MM90 in the neck position, like CB mentioned in another thread, that might be interesting indeed...
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    fwiw, I'm in a similar spot. I'd been curious about the Valentine since they came out. When the SBMM version was announced at NAMM, I ordered one of those on the spot, and have had plenty of time to get to 'know' it.
    It's absolutely a fabulous guitar with it's own personality, and I have no complaints with it. However, after the honeymoon phase, I'm just not really bonding with it. It doesn't really give me anything special that I don't already have, and it certainly does not replace any of my Tele's. I'm considering moving it on at this point.
    Now, one with an MM90 in the neck position, like CB mentioned in another thread, that might be interesting indeed...
    The only problem with an MM90 Val is that you lose the coil split functionality, which I think is a major factor in the appeal of Valentine guitars. Oh well!
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

True, but with the MM90, you simply wouldn't need it...

I've tried a few Tele's with a normal bridge pup and buckers in the neck, and that just didn't work for me. Just a personal preference, but my favorite sounds from a Tele are a good neck pup and the middle position...
    If I were a country twanger, things would be different, of course...
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    The only problem with an MM90 Val is that you lose the coil split functionality, which I think is a major factor in the appeal of Valentine guitars. Oh well!
    Truth, CB... the coil split gives the Val a deliciousness my other guitars (including a sweet ash tele) just can't match.
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

I have those same knobs on my Valentine. Fender amp knobs. I love them. I also removed the hideous pickguard.

Most recent update: I hate "vintage" style saddles! I don't like them on my Albee Lee, And I don't like them on the Val either. I finally had to take a small file to them...those saddle screws are friggin' sharp!! Anybody ever replace them on the Val with something else...even Graphtech String Saver Saddles? I asked EBMM but they only replied that they don't have any experience with non-stock saddles.

I'm going to try and spend a lot of time this weekend in the studio with the Val to make up my mind about it. I love the look, the feel of the body, and the neck. The most important thing though - the sound - I'm not sold on yet, which is strange given what they were going for with it...figured I'd totally dig it right from the get-go.

But it could just end up being a guitar I just use periodically. I kind of imagined when I ordered it that it would be a guitar I was going to find myself picking up all the time - maybe it's not going to be. That could be OK I guess...if it was an $800 guitar it'd be a no brainer, but at $1800 I need to be sure...hopefully this weekend will tell me.
    JP Majesty || Steve Morse Std. || Reflex Gamechanger || Valentine || ALHH
    https://ericjasonbrock.bandcamp.com

If it's not for you, I'd sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    If it's not for you, I'd sell it.
    +1!
    There's no sense in keeping something you aren't satisfied with. More than likely it won't turn into something you love playing.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

After a weekend in the studio with the Val, I feel a lot better about the purchase.

I recorded some stuff going the various profiles in the Kemper, and I also recorded two tracks with an amp mic'd up...a Friedman Dirty Shirley and then a PRS Dallas 410 and liked the majority of the tones I was able to get.

The neck wasn't an issue at all, and I am starting to like how sensitive the pickups are...big tonal changes with the volume knob - as you'd expect with quality electronics.

It won't be the all out go-to guitar I thought it was going to be, but it'll definitely see it's fair share of use for recording! For gigging I'll probably stay with the Majesty, Collings 290 and one of the Teles...I try to keep it to 3 guitars if I can, but might take the Val in place of a Tele now and then.
    JP Majesty || Steve Morse Std. || Reflex Gamechanger || Valentine || ALHH
    https://ericjasonbrock.bandcamp.com

Good to hear that you're liking the new guitar more. I won't be surprised if it continues to grow on you. I find mine to be so versatile and just ridiculously comfortable to play.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

The VAL is just ridiculous in the tone department. I can't imagine ever parting with mine. Ridiculous.

My music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

Happily Own

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)

Congratulation on the new Valentine!!

PS. You can always switch pickups, since you fancy the overall aesthetics of the guitar.
    ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN
    JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight (pending)
    NOMAC MAJESTY (pending)

I noticed this as well today. I was playing and leaned back and the pitch changed quite a bit. Realized I was tugging a bit with my fretting hand(bad technique, I know). I found while playing upright I can get a wah wah sound by wiggling the neck(it doesn't move just bends I think) and I can see the strings get a little lower and higher. I checked that the neck screws are all tight. I am a newbie and don't have another electric handy to check. Is this normal? I think I've heard pros do that wah wah thing with the neck but couldn't remember on what kind of guitar. Those of you with Valentines or other thinnish necked MMs... is this normal or excessive?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Wanted to add, my neck is not very figured at all(not complaining, just wanted to address what was mentioned by the OP)

I just got my Valentine today from Sweetwater.

I think I love it - pretty darn sure I really, really like it...wanting to love it.

Does anybody else find the neck a little "delicate" for lack of a better term...like it's almost like an SG neck to me - like any movement on my part wavers the pitch up & down.

Am I just being ham-fisted?!? LOL

I know there are some people that feel a highly figured maple neck is weaker than a normal maple neck, and mine has some very nice flame figuring as well as some almost spalted looking figuring (obviously I know it's not spalted, but for lack of a better way to describe it, it resembles that)...so I'm wondering if I'm being overly critical of a new $1800 guitar or not.

I bought with very strong intentions of using it as a recording guitar so I'm wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has had any similar thoughts.

Have never noticed it with my Majesty, AL, Game Changer, or Morse before...though none of those have highly figured necks (or even roasted maple necks).
    Last edited by RichieZ; 08-06-2017 at 02:53 PM.