Ernie Ball CRNR Slash
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Valentine - Neck Question

User Info Menu

Here's my thoughts after reading your post. I've had my Valentine for about 3 mos. now and I mostly play Tele's & Strats. I'm a Fender guy through and through. I love my Valentine because it is unique to itself and it makes me appreciate my other guitars even more for what they are.

I love the neck on the Valentine for its very unique feel and profile. It does have a ridiculous number of tones you can coax out of it and has its own sound with the tapping. I love my strats for their sounds and my teles for the sounds they produce, but I think when it boils down to it, the Val has its own unique set of tones. I can see how many of these do sort of cross pollinate with a tele, but that is ok with me.

The cool part is when you pick up your Fenders love them for what they are. They have that classic guitar vibe and character in them. They have their own character and charm. And as for the Val, its an EBMM and it definitely has its own beautiful and unique set of characteristics. I think you should keep it and if nothing else, if you do a lot of recording, you have another tool at your finger tips to possibly nail that tone you need for your track.

An as far as the knobs ( I know you said you switched back) when I saw those on there, I just kept thinking of my 72 deluxe Tele. lol.

Keep us posted on how your Val evolves. My Val is my first taste of EBMM and I couldn't have been happier. I guess it's a bit easier since my bro gifted it to me just because he saw me drooling over it on my computer one day. haha

Rock on!
    "Time to Rock the World and do it again!"

EBMM 2017 Valentine in Trans Buttermilk...his name is "Biscuits"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RichieZ View Post
    I noticed this as well today. I was playing and leaned back and the pitch changed quite a bit. Realized I was tugging a bit with my fretting hand(bad technique, I know). I found while playing upright I can get a wah wah sound by wiggling the neck(it doesn't move just bends I think) and I can see the strings get a little lower and higher. I checked that the neck screws are all tight. I am a newbie and don't have another electric handy to check. Is this normal? I think I've heard pros do that wah wah thing with the neck but couldn't remember on what kind of guitar. Those of you with Valentines or other thinnish necked MMs... is this normal or excessive?
    I haven't played every kind of guitar, by any means, but I've never played one in 35 years of playing that I couldn't achieve a pitch change by flexing the neck. When you lean back, or lay the guitar flat, gravity acts on the weight of the neck and headstock (and body, depending on where the weight is being supported), and will change the pitch slightly even without you tugging on it. Completely normal, and not at all an indication of a defect or deficiency in your guitar, in my opinion.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for your experienced and informative response... thats what I figured. Hadn't really thought otherwise until I had read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I haven't played every kind of guitar, by any means, but I've never played one in 35 years of playing that I couldn't achieve a pitch change by flexing the neck. When you lean back, or lay the guitar flat, gravity acts on the weight of the neck and headstock (and body, depending on where the weight is being supported), and will change the pitch slightly even without you tugging on it. Completely normal, and not at all an indication of a defect or deficiency in your guitar, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

What I know of my guitars (5 LPs, an LP Jr analog, 1 Strat, an SG, an offset, 2 other double cuts, a Supro and my EBMM Val), if I had to strip to the minimum, I would keep the Gold Top LP, the Roadhouse Strat and the EBMM Val. Cutting it down more than that would be very, very hard.