Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM Axis as First Time Guitar for Beginner?

MM Axis as First Time Guitar for Beginner?

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, in fact, new all around. I'm in my early fifties, and just started taking lessons with electric guitar - a serious newbie. My goal is to cover songs from 80s rock bands in my garage. Needless to say, Van Halen "Panama" and "Aint Talkin Bout Love" are among my list of songs. I've been learning the absolute basics with a borrowed Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but found a beautiful early 2000s EB MM Axis that my wife wants to buy me for my birthday. What say ye fellas? Any reason not to if I'm just beginning? Would my wife be handing a baby a machine gun? I've definitely got the bug, and am determined to keep playing. My instructor said... "get anything that will make you play, heck, even just hold your guitar in your hands more." If you get it, and it doesn't sound right, at least you know it isn't the instrument.

Thanks for chiming in.

I don't have a Axis... but I can give an EBMM as first electric perspective. I started almost two years ago and learned on an acoustic for the first year. When I felt I wanted to do electric too, I looked at a played a lot of guitars... and ended up getting a Valentine. It's way too good for me, and may always be, but when I see it I want to play it. I play it just about every day because I can't pas it without waiting to pick it up. I love how it feels and sounds and that makes me want to play and practice longer and harder. So for those reasons, its the ultimate first guitar. I say that if an Axis makes you want to play, and you can afford it, then get it.

Did you play an Axis before? The only reason NOT to buy it would be the neck being too narrow in comparison with your LP. Otherwise you should really count your blessings to have a wife that buys you an EBMM! My girl wants me to sell one to finance a new bed. Go figure

Show pics when the Axis comes home
    Last edited by Luc; 08-03-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    2003 Luke Luke Blue signed twice by Lucious
    2007 Luke LE Blue Dawn signed by Lucious

Quote Originally Posted by Calspyderman View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, in fact, new all around. I'm in my early fifties, and just started taking lessons with electric guitar - a serious newbie. My goal is to cover songs from 80s rock bands in my garage. Needless to say, Van Halen "Panama" and "Aint Talkin Bout Love" are among my list of songs. I've been learning the absolute basics with a borrowed Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but found a beautiful early 2000s EB MM Axis that my wife wants to buy me for my birthday. What say ye fellas? Any reason not to if I'm just beginning? Would my wife be handing a baby a machine gun? I've definitely got the bug, and am determined to keep playing. My instructor said... "get anything that will make you play, heck, even just hold your guitar in your hands more." If you get it, and it doesn't sound right, at least you know it isn't the instrument.

Thanks for chiming in.
    If an Axis doesn't fulfill the role of guitar that makes you want to keep playing, then it's probably not the guitar. Besides, who in their right mind would say "no" to an Axis that the wife wants to buy?
    “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” - Keith Richards

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Black Star HT-1
    Bad Cat 2x12

If you/wife are willing to make the investment it's a fantastic instrument and won't hinder your learning the way a poor quality cheap instrument might. And if you are inspired to play it more than what you currently have, that's always a good thing!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Thank you all for your timely and sage advice. You have all confirmed my thinking... though still feel a bit like I'm learning to drive on a Ferrari. Agree, anything that makes me want to play more is a good thing, and I'm not trying to impress anyone but myself. Luc - thanks for pointing out the narrower neck on the EBMM. I have relatively smaller hands (7" from wrist to top of middle finger), and one of the things that attracted me to the Axis are all the comments on how comfortable the neck is. Given my age and time constraints, I'd be happy to master one instrument, much less an EBMM and an LP. I just need to confirm a 2002 Axis has the slightly wider neck at the heel to prevent the E-string from slipping off the fret board (yeah, I'm already reading too much about guitars instead of playing them).

Can someone please explain the difference between a Tremolo and a "hard tail" and does it matter for a beginner?" I believe the guitar I am lusting over has a Floyd-Rose style locking bridge.

Thanx again!

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    My girl wants me to sell one to finance a new bed. Go figure
    If your girlfriend wants a new bed, it definitely means something

Quote Originally Posted by Calspyderman View Post

Can someone please explain the difference between a Tremolo and a "hard tail" and does it matter for a beginner?" I believe the guitar I am lusting over has a Floyd-Rose style locking bridge.

Thanx again!
    Hello

It's better to learn with a good equipment, thus a Music Man is a pretty good idea.

If you are a Van Halen fan, a Floyd Rose Axis is a must-have.
    Hard tail guitar are easier to setup but a Floyd Rose is not rocket science. Besides this forum is full of guys that can help you in case you need to setup your Axis.

Good luck

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The E string slipping off of the fretboard is an EVH model issue. It was corrected with the Axis.

I think it's great that your wife is so generous and I agree that having a fine tool, like an Axis, will make your learning that much more enjoyable. Go for it!

Bryan

2015 Luke III - BFR - Blackburst
    2014 Luke - BFR - Koa
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR (Pinkbert) with Sustainiac and Gravity Storm
    2013 Luke III - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky) with pink video game button killswitch
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless

An Axis will DEFINITELY scratch that itch. Phenomenal guitar, incredibly easy to play, and the pickups are FLAMETHROWERS!!!
    2013 Axis Tribute Pink Quilt

The Axis is a fantastic guitar for a beginner, and I'm sure that it will inspire you to play more and go further. The neck is absolutely fantastic for guys with smaller hands. Easily the best neck I've ever played.

My first guitar was a plywood body with a fine roseplastic fingerboard and inexplicably, a lock-nut with a string-through bridge, so consider yourself a very lucky man.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1996 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Two words..........Do It!
    GUITARS

EBMM Majesty Monarchy 6 (Royal Red)
    EBMM JP16 (Black Lava)
    EBMM Axis (Trans Gold)
    Ibanez RG655 Prestige (Galaxy Black)
    Gibson R8 (Bourbon Burst)
    Gibson Les Paul Std. (Trans Amber)
    Fender American Elite Strat (Seafoam Green Pearl)
    Fender 60's Tribute Strat(Two-Tone Burst)

Welcome to the forum!

My first electric was from EBMM, and I have no regrets about that. In my case, I bought one that I loved, but was not best-suited to the styles of music I like to play, whereas it seems you've already figured that part of the equation out, so that's good for you. (I eventually traded that guitar away, but not without falling in love with the brand and getting involved in this wonderful community of owners.)

I think I would be a lot more likely to practice if I had a guitar of my own that was ideally suited to my tastes, rather than a borrowed guitar. And it would seem you have a wonderful wife! Enjoy!
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Do it.

Shortly after coming back from 30 years not playing, I re-entered the guitar role. I bought an Axis Super Sport from a local forum member and loved the neck. Later picked up a new Axis from Pete down in his store in Connecticut. Although the floyd rose can be "different" to tune, set up and change strings with, it's not rocket science. I found that it stayed in tune better than anything else I owned, including hard tail guitars.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm gonna do it. I've narrowed down the choice between two guitars. A 2002 Axis in standard trim (translucent red); and a 2011 Axis Tribute with a D-Tuna installed in translucent red. Any thoughts on the two choices very welcome. I believe the 2011 Tribute has an "updated" Floyd Tremeolo, and brown instead of black on the back and sides. Thanks again everyone.