Ernie Ball Paradigm
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lack of options

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9

    Lack of options

    Hello all, new to the forum. Bought a Valentine and love it, looking to buy a Cutlass. But...
    Really frustrating that customers can't choose guitar/pick-guard color combinations, maple v rosewood necks, I'm talking about colors and items that are already part of the model's standard equipment. Like I'd LOVE a black Cutlass w/black pick guard and a maple neck. Not an option, though those items are on others in the same line. It's a shame. I'd pay more just for options like that.
    Another great one would be a white on white Cutlass with the Birdseye roasted maple neck. Those necks are EBMM's best IMHO, though not part of the Cutlass standard equipment

    hyghtm

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,622
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

    While I agree that it would be awesome to be able to order whatever we dream of, it's also fun to watch for the many special runs that are released, hoping for that perfect combination. There are special releases coming out very soon:

    Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

    You can also order a different pickguard and swap it out yourself.

    Good luck!

    2015 Luke III - BFR - Blackburst
    2014 Luke - BFR - Koa
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR (Pinkbert) with Sustainiac and Gravity Storm
    2013 Luke III - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky) with pink video game button killswitch
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    4,995
    Up until just a few years ago, each model had many color options, fretboard option, pickguard options, piezo option, matching headstock options. The total number of combinations across the bass and guitar lines was in the multiple thousands. As the business grew, certain models and colors dominated sales, other models were almost never custom ordered and only ordered by stores in the standard options that sell easily, and new guitar models came on stream, it didn't make sense to keep that many options and such a huge stock of paint of pickguards just sitting there.

    Yeah, it was a sad day for us here on the forum when they announced that so many options, and one or two guitar models, were culled but hey, if they ran the business the way we wanted them to they'd have filled a dumpster with green guitars and closed the factory years ago!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

    I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9
    Yeah, it was a sad day for us here on the forum when they announced that so many options, and one or two guitar models, were culled but hey, if they ran the business the way we wanted them to they'd have filled a dumpster with green guitars and closed the factory years ago! [/QUOTE]

    That's understanadable. But I'm thinking more along the lines of them not building a guitar/pickguard color and neck combo any different from the catalog pictures until it's actually ordered, and paid for. Like Hardee's used to do burgers, they don't cook em til you order them. That way there's no unsold oddball inventory piling up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    718
    I agree with the op, but it is what it is, and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. EBMM are going to run the business the way they see fit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,931
    Quote Originally Posted by hyghtm View Post
    But I'm thinking more along the lines of them not building a guitar/pickguard color and neck combo any different from the catalog pictures until it's actually ordered, and paid for. Like Hardee's used to do burgers, they don't cook em til you order them. That way there's no unsold oddball inventory piling up.
    That's exactly how they used to do it. How they still do ... instruments are built to order, so there's no stock sitting around in the factory.

    The issue is that with so many instruments, there are over a hundred thousand build codes that need to be communicated to all corners of the globe and supported. Gets complicated quickly. So they streamlined things by limiting each instrument to the most popular configurations.

    As Kev said ... there are lots of things we all love, but that just don't sell.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Malmedy, Belgium
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickGlass View Post
    I agree with the op, but it is what it is, and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. EBMM are going to run the business the way they see fit.

    They seem to run their business succesfully.

    And as far as I respect and understand their choices, I'd be so happy if the AL was offered in a gazilion different and amazing finishes such as the Majesty!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS PDN 2014 Neptune Blue
    AL HH PDN 2016 Starry Night
    AL MM90 Black

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    3,148
    I can easily see both sides on this. While I understand the need to not have a million option combinations the already vast amount of models available by EBMM, the Cutlass is the model I was looking at and thinking the same thing. I can wait until colors I dig more are created, but if the only option is a rosewood neck, it's immediately off my radar. (and I really wanted one too). lol

    My music on iTunes, CDBaby and Amazon

    Happily Own

    Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    I can easily see both sides on this. While I understand the need to not have a million option combinations the already vast amount of models available by EBMM, the Cutlass is the model I was looking at and thinking the same thing. I can wait until colors I dig more are created, but if the only option is a rosewood neck, it's immediately off my radar. (and I really wanted one too). lol
    Exactly- I can't stand rosewood necks. Don't care for the white pick guard with the black body, and so far, no aftermarket pick guards are available for the Cutlass yet. So I'll wait. The guitars are certainly worth it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Nottingham UK
    Posts
    361
    You can buy Cutlass pickguards direct from music-man, or if you want wilder ones pickguard heaven so them. Musicman will sell you mint, white, tort and possibly black as there is a black one on the new BFR which is an ash body in natural finish with full rosewood neck and white binding. A combo I'd kill for

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coachella & SLO, California
    Posts
    18,448
    Blog Entries
    17
    Trust me...it's like when my wife argues with the gps...there are more reasons to simplify than not.

    It's so hard to offer everything to everyone. It becomes a one off shop. If you notice the Cutlass and Stingray are priced lower.
    Dealers wait up to six months and finally get the guitar and the customer doesnt buy it because they want other options so the dealer stops stocking our stuff...

    We are trying to make great stuff and have so many models and still struggle to break even. Thank god for Slinky's
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Malmedy, Belgium
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Trust me...it's like when my wife argues with the gps...there are more reasons to simplify than not.

    It's so hard to offer everything to everyone. It becomes a one off shop. If you notice the Cutlass and Stingray are priced lower.
    Dealers wait up to six months and finally get the guitar and the customer doesnt buy it because they want other options so the dealer stops stocking our stuff...

    We are trying to make great stuff and have so many models and still struggle to break even. Thank god for Slinky's

    Don't change a thing!

    Although I'd like more colours my AL's are the best guitar I've ever played and truly make my life better!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS PDN 2014 Neptune Blue
    AL HH PDN 2016 Starry Night
    AL MM90 Black

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9
    I think most people are missing my point. I'm not talking about EBMM offering all conceivable colors and combinations. I just mean it'd be nice if we could choose colors of guitar bodies and pickguards already offered in the same model's line. But I understand not doing even that is more simple. But I'll say, if I could pre-pay and order a black Cutlass with a black pickguard and maple neck, I'd do it today. But nope. Just sayin. 😩

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Paradigm