BFR June

Thread: AMP to pair with JPS-6

User Info Menu

AMP to pair with JPS-6

Hello,

Could anyone be kind and advice on an amp to pair with JPS-6?
    I bought this amazing guitar back in States. However, Ive been traveling for work for a few years and never had really chance to play it.

Im quite new to guitar in general, just starting out. I need something small, nothing too powerful, to use in the apartment with neighbours all around me. No concert/band/gig for now.

Style - anything from acoustic, to blues/jazz, rock and metal. Nothing much heavier than Metallica/Iron Maiden.

Budget - no real budget, but I prefer not to spend whole lot of money on home amp, to play on low sound. If it does provide extra futures, thats great.

User Info Menu

Mesa Boogie Mark 35 combo. All the tube amp you will ever need. Some will say this is still too much, but it will cover your current needs and you can grow into it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2009: JP6 w/BFR Rosewood Neck - Ice Blue
    2010: Silhouette HSH w/Matching Neck - Black
    2010: Ernie Ball WAH - Black/Green and smooth like silk
    2011: Sterling H w/Matching Neck - Black

User Info Menu

I'd rather suggest something like a Yamaha THR-10. That's the perfect apartment use amp, and you can figure out from there what kind of sounds you like and then get a tube amp to fill that need later on, if it ever arises.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

User Info Menu

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I only have half stacks, but I use a power attenuator to lower the volume when playing at home.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Thank you, everyone!
    Mesa Boogie seems like an amazing amp, but slightly larger and more expensive, than what Im looking for atm.

Yamaha THR-10, based on reviews, is a superb amp. Small, not too loud and with a great sound. 200$ seems like a bargin as well
    Is there any other similar amps I should consider/look at? Compare head to head with Yamaha THR-10?

User Info Menu

Have a look at the Boss Katana.

Really a great sounding amp, price aside (and the price is hard to beat). Plus- built in FX. Totally suitable for at home or playing at louder volumes.

I've recommended it to a few friends that have been very happy with it.

User Info Menu

I really like my Fender Super Sonic, I use a Dr.Z Attuinator, when needed. Hidden in the back of the cabinet and the sound guys have no idea.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cefey View Post
    Thank you, everyone!
    Mesa Boogie seems like an amazing amp, but slightly larger and more expensive, than what Im looking for atm.

Yamaha THR-10, based on reviews, is a superb amp. Small, not too loud and with a great sound. 200$ seems like a bargin as well
    Is there any other similar amps I should consider/look at? Compare head to head with Yamaha THR-10?
    Have a look at this video, they show two other options: The 3 Best Home Use Guitar Amps for 2017! - YouTube
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

User Info Menu

I recently down sized my rig as I havent played live in a long time. I picked an Orange 35rt and it works quite nicely and has a great tone.

User Info Menu

Once again, thanks for your input, highly appreciated!!

After watching the youtube video, it seems like Vox Adio is a better choice? Yamaha seems and sounds great too, though.

I did some more research on VOX and this is what I discovered, as my options:

Vox Adio - 260gbp.
    Used Vox AD15/50++VT - 70gbp
    Used Vox VT20 - 80gbp

Obviously Adio just came out and there are none on second hand market. While there are plenty of AD15 or VT20. And paying 1/4 of the price is attractive.

Could anyone be so kind and explain the differences between those 3 models? Which one would I benefit most from, at my "just starting out" stage of playing? Is there any point to spent more money and get Adio?

EDIT: I was walking by the store and got Vox Adio. However, feel free to reply, in case someone else would read the thread
    Last edited by cefey; 10-30-2017 at 02:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I love my THR-10. They also make a more "modern" version with more aggressive models. It really does sound great, at all volumes. I love a nice Mesa Boogie as much as the next guy, but holy dang they are loud.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Yamaha THR.

I have the THR-5 and use it all the time. It records great, takes pedals beautifully, fits in a back pack. Great piece of gear! Yes, my 15 Watt tube amp sounds better side-by-side but it's not as convenient and lacks the headphone out and aux in of the THRs. A buddy of mine has two Marshall amps that do 1W and 0.1W and yeah, they sound awesome but even they will get too loud for the neighbors.

For low volume/headphone playing and no requirement for something bigger, I don't think there is a better choice.
    Last edited by DrKev; 10-31-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.