Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: My first MM: JP15 7 string

My first MM: JP15 7 string

Hi there,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new JP15 as my first EBMM and my first 7-string.
    Always liked the MM necks and these roasted maple necks are just awesome. Always admired the MM quality and attention to detail. Otherwise I usually split my time between Les Pauls and Strats as well as my Washburn N4 that I love dearly.
    When it comes to high quality 7 strings it quickly boils down to EBMM and Ibanez (and of course a bunch of very expensive custom builders). Bonus here was that I have an actual use for the piezo bridge and I'm not a huge fan of the Ibanez necks.
    So this would be a no-brainer in that price bracket.

It wouldn't be me though if I wasn't looking to customize a few things potentially. And I'm not a fan of "signature Models" per se (and I do like JP and DT and have been a fan since the very early days when they played in front of a few dozen people). And yes, my N4 is a signature model as well.

A) bridge pickup: not sure if I like the stock one or if I'd rather have another Crunch Lab (have that one in my N4). Looking at the birds nest wiring online I'm a bit intimidated. Hard to change? Soldering iron and screw driver will do if it came to that?

B) Is the circuit for the magnet PUs passive (other than the boost which Inreally have no use for)? Are the pots otherwise standard if they ever need replacement or I want a different taper? Really just concerned with the volume pot. No need for a tone pot in my book. In other words: are there ways to simplify what's going on on the magnetic side? Volume pot, three way switch, done?

C) can the actual knobs be changed to something more standard or are they an unusual size? I would probably just opt for something like a Tele barrel knob or Strat looking knobs. The chrome domes with the rubber really don't look so hot (other than the fact that there are too many and the placement is a bit unfortunate but can't change that obviously).

D) this may be the silliest but how is the little "15" inlay installed? Anyone found a way to cover that up or have a luthier install something different? And what about the actual signature? Is that on top of the clear cost or under? I'd like to remove that also.

I know, I'm sure some of this is sacrilegious but I like to make things my own and have become a bit particular over the years when it comes to controls and basic functions. Which MM had a custom shop...

Hello there. I'm excited that you are going to get your first ebmm. It is a slippery slope, my friend. Be prepared to sell everything except your N4. We'll let you keep that one. haha. I literally sold every non music man guitar that I had, except one. And, I haven't played that one in years and years. It's more like wall art at this point (and tattooed on my arm which is why I kept it).

We can't wait to hear all about your new guitar and see some pictures, of course.

2015 Luke III - BFR - Blackburst
    2014 Luke - BFR - Koa
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR (Pinkbert) with Sustainiac and Gravity Storm
    2013 Luke III - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky) with pink video game button killswitch
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Hello there. I'm excited that you are going to get your first ebmm. It is a slippery slope, my friend. Be prepared to sell everything except your N4. We'll let you keep that one. haha. I literally sold every non music man guitar that I had, except one. And, I haven't played that one in years and years. It's more like wall art at this point (and tattooed on my arm which is why I kept it).

We can't wait to hear all about your new guitar and see some pictures, of course.
    Thanks a lot. I totally understand the appeal and some models have been on my list for a long time. Really ever since I first tried an Axis back in the days. Though I don't expect to sell anything ;-)
    I'm still on the fence though after reading more. It may come down to the same problem that I always had with MM in that some feature combinations don't exist.
    I'm concerned about the layout of the controls on this one and the overly complicated electronics - which I know will only last for a short while before I rip them out like I've always down with anything active and battery powered. I only want the piezo to be active and the rest dead simple. Plus the location of the pickup selector seems problematic. Same with the output locations.

In an ideal world the Axis came with a 7 string option, figured maple neck, and a decked piezo Floyd Rose. Or maybe it's time to hunt down an N7...

OMG - I bought it. Should be here by Tuesday. Better go now and buy a bucket full of roses to go with it.
    Green flame with a beautiful flame neck.

Congrats! We would love to see some pictures, please.

2014 Luke - BFR - Koa

My first MM: JP15 7 string-img_3244-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Congrats! We would love to see some pictures, please.
    My first MM: JP15 7 string-img_3241-jpgMy first MM: JP15 7 string-img_3243-jpg

She'll arrive on Tuesday. What will keep me up a night now is what strap to pick for this one. I'm thinking the grey DiMarzio clip lock? I have Moody's on my Strats but it's really a different animal. Plus I'm not going to shell out that kind of money on top of this now.
    Last edited by 7enderbender; 10-13-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Wow!!! I love green guitars - it's my second favorite guitar color, after pink. Your neck may have the best flame ever! That is one very cool JP.

2014 Luke - BFR - Koa

Holy smokes! That is one flametastic JP! Congrats! We need a pic of the entire back to enjoy the flaminess!!!
    LUKE 1 Pearl Red S/N 95987 DOB 5-10-95
    SBMM JV60 S/N SG34682 w/flame roasted maple neck/DuBaldo's split HB polished frets; DiMarzio PAF 36th Bridge pup neck; DiMarzio AT-1 bridge; Graphtec saddles; Schaller locking tuners

Vox VT20+
    Zoom G3X
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."