Mariposa Green
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My super unique JP15 Sahara

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdx65 View Post
    I have a question related to the tremolo setup. The previous owner had 008 strings and kept the three springs on the tremolo. When got the guitar it was working fine, kept tuning well. I have now installed new strings 10s and the bridge obviously was tilting forward. Now I have tightened the claws a bit until the bridge is horizontal with the guitar body, when the strings are in std. tuning. I assume it is a trial and error to find the right balance? I can do good setup on Fender strats, but the procedure is different due to the tremolo design.
    I wish Music Man had a better support for setups, the Q&A section is very thin. If you have 10s what is the distance between the body and the claw rear straight edge? just for comparison.
    My new JP15 is a 7 string so I can't help you with measurements. The easiest way is to put some pieces of cardboard, etc behind the trem block to keep it level with the spring claw loosened. Then tune to pitch with your new strings. After that tighten the claw until the cardboard becomes almost lose. Pull it out. Fine tune the claw so the guitar is in tune, and you're pretty much done. Make sure to check intonation and saddle height while you're at it. Really not much different from the strat design, only you can't deck it.

User Info Menu

actually on all my JPs it also kinda varies...
    JP15 in Sahara Burst DOB 10/May/2016
    JPXI in Onyx Black DOB 30/October/2013
    JP7 2007LE in Blue Dawn DOB 03/July/2007
    JP6 in Lava Pearl DOB 06/October/2009
    Silhouette in Blue Pearl DOB 05/April/2011
    JP7 in Red Pearl Burst DOB 12/August/2003
    BFR JP6 in Trans Black DOB 05/May/2011

www.youtube.com/dhalif

User Info Menu

What makes it unique? Quilt body with flame neck?

User Info Menu

well where im from, ive never seen one with massive flames on the neck like this.. unique to me i guess lol
    JP15 in Sahara Burst DOB 10/May/2016
    JPXI in Onyx Black DOB 30/October/2013
    JP7 2007LE in Blue Dawn DOB 03/July/2007
    JP6 in Lava Pearl DOB 06/October/2009
    Silhouette in Blue Pearl DOB 05/April/2011
    JP7 in Red Pearl Burst DOB 12/August/2003
    BFR JP6 in Trans Black DOB 05/May/2011

www.youtube.com/dhalif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dhalif View Post
    well where im from, ive never seen one with massive flames on the neck like this.. unique to me i guess lol
    Yea true, I thought the quilt tops got birdseye maple (that's what mine is like), and flamed tops got the flamed neck. Just wasn't sure if this is a chance grab or like a one-off model (which is what I initially assumed by the description of super unique).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post
    Yep, simply trial and error... I have had multiple JP guitars set up the same way, same string gauges, with the same amount of springs, and the distance of the spring claw varied a bit on all of them.
    Hi!! I think I got the tremolo stabilised now. Not a big deal. BY the way, can one keep the guitar cable plugged-into the Mono jack or the battery is activated when the jack is in, like on guitars with active pickups (EMGs)?