Ready to Roar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVH Total Fade - Only took 25 years!

W.Suitor Guest

EVH Total Fade - Only took 25 years!

EVH Total Fade - Only took 25 years!-img_7525-jpg
    EVH Total Fade - Only took 25 years!-img_7526-jpg
    Its been a long time coming, but my 1992 Trans Purple quilt (serial number 81309) has eventually faded to completely natural! I have watched this process over many years, hoping that it would eventually end up like this. I absolutely love this guitar, and am very fortunate to own it! It was originally an Artist Relations Dept guitar, first owned by a factory employee I believe? If said employee is still around, this is how your guitar looks today!
    Last edited by W.Suitor; 11-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow... that's cool!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Oh wow! That is pretty cool. I guess it's stored in an area that has exposure to sunlight?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

W.Suitor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Oh wow! That is pretty cool. I guess it's stored in an area that has exposure to sunlight?
    Story is........I bought the guitar in 1999/2000 or thereabouts! When I bought it, I'd have called it 'extremely faded'. All of the dark purple had gone completely, leaving a faint hue of purple all over. Over the last 17 years it has not been kept intentionally out of daylight to anything, but it has slowly faded to natural all by itself! Obviously I cannot account for the first eight years of its life, but evidently thats where 90% of the fading occurred!

I also have a trans black one (1991 - serial number 80139) that I keep a very close eye on and do intententionally keep stored out of UV light! as a result, it has only faded by 10% or so! Both are just simply stunning instruments!

User Info Menu

The stingray pictured in my avatar has a bit of fading to it. I don't know where it was stored, but it seems to be the same on the back and front. When I pulled the pickguard once, I could see how much it had faded. I hope it stays the color it is, as I like it.

User Info Menu

maybe it's a purposeful trick

User Info Menu

That's actually...sad to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DevRock View Post
    That's actually...sad to me.
    +1. Personally, I don't like faded finishes. I know a natural quilt looks nice but you buy a color, not a natural. TBH, I'm quite shocked how the tribute Axes are fading and I'm only hoping the Morses with the blue quilt and reverse headstocks will not fade, but I highly doubt it. Is it because it's a hand stain? Different material? It looks so nice new but I wouldn't buy one because of the fading.
    2003 Luke Luke Blue signed twice by Lucious
    2007 Luke LE Blue Dawn signed by Lucious

User Info Menu

From what I have heard, stains are less resistant to fading. Most of the translucent and solid finishes are automotive paints. They are very resistant to fading. The stains though, not so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    +1. Personally, I don't like faded finishes. I know a natural quilt looks nice but you buy a color, not a natural. TBH, I'm quite shocked how the tribute Axes are fading and I'm only hoping the Morses with the blue quilt and reverse headstocks will not fade, but I highly doubt it. Is it because it's a hand stain? Different material? It looks so nice new but I wouldn't buy one because of the fading.
    The original EVHs had this issue- it hasn't been an issue with the Axis series, or any of the other instruments for that matter. Something that was corrected long ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    The original EVHs had this issue- it hasn't been an issue with the Axis series, or any of the other instruments for that matter. Something that was corrected long ago.
    Beej, the Axis Tributes do have the same issue as the EVH (same dye, and no UV protection in clear coat). My Tributes are all in their cases and some of them are still fading.

User Info Menu

Oh, I didn't realize- my bad. Thanks Jeff.

User Info Menu

Sounds like the dye itself may not be super stable, and may be reacting to the slow trickle of oxygen that makes its way through the wood.

User Info Menu

Okay, so let me see if I understand this...

You got a picture of it purple hanging on the wall.

Then you got a picture of it natural hanging on the same wall.

So you've had the thing hanging on the same place on the same wall for 25 years?!?!?!?
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Wait, ok now I get it. Those are NOT the same guitar. They are just hanging in the same place, 4 minutes apart. Look at the clock, and the flame on the top.

I guess that's what it used to look like?