Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello....newbie from the UK here.....

Hello....newbie from the UK here.....

Hi there.

I looked for a "new members" thread but couldn't spot one.

Anyway, I've just bought my first MM guitar and thought it'd be good to be on a forum where I can get up to speed and learn from some experts. My guitar is a purple / blue quilted Steve Morse Y2D with a Floyd Rose. I've never owned a Floyd Rose, so this will be a challenge. Also, I'm just learning guitar at the age of 56. I've been able to play a few chords for many years but decided that if I didn't learn "better" soon, I might as well give up.

Anyway, I'm exceptionally pleased with the guitar so far (bought it on Sunday at the London International Guitar Show) - but haven't needed to do anything with the strings as yet. Hopefully, it's not as difficult in reality as the mechanism looks. Any tips / pointers would be welcomed.

I've got a few other guitars but I can see the Steve Morse being a favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Hi there.

I looked for a "new members" thread but couldn't spot one.

Anyway, I've just bought my first MM guitar and thought it'd be good to be on a forum where I can get up to speed and learn from some experts. My guitar is a purple / blue quilted Steve Morse Y2D with a Floyd Rose. I've never owned a Floyd Rose, so this will be a challenge. Also, I'm just learning guitar at the age of 56. I've been able to play a few chords for many years but decided that if I didn't learn "better" soon, I might as well give up.

Anyway, I'm exceptionally pleased with the guitar so far (bought it on Sunday at the London International Guitar Show) - but haven't needed to do anything with the strings as yet. Hopefully, it's not as difficult in reality as the mechanism looks. Any tips / pointers would be welcomed.

I've got a few other guitars but I can see the Steve Morse being a favourite.
    Welcome to the forum - you'll end up buying many more MM guitars I'm sure.

There is an unwritten rule on here - "Doesn't exist without pics!"
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

Wow, you certainly dived right into a really awesome guitar!

Generally, the Floyd Rose system is great. You can find some great tutorials on restringing it on youtube.

One thing you will need to do is cut the ball ends off the strings, and then use the included allen wrenches to "lock" them into the bridge. Then you pass the string through the locking nut (you have to unlock it first). After that you wrap it around the string peg and wind it.

I will say that honestly a floyd rose can be frustrating. I have a bunch of guitars, and only two have floyd roses. They are great for what they are designed for, but they do require a bunch more work and can have a higher learning curve. However once they are set up and locked in, the tuning stability is incredible.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Congratulations and happy playing & practicing!!

Floyd Rose will never let you down, no worries at all =D

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight (pending)
    NOMAC MAJESTY #11 Timeworn Matte Silver

- Top Money Paid for a specific JP15 BUCKEYE BURL 6-String model released in Japan -

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    Welcome to the forum - you'll end up buying many more MM guitars I'm sure.

There is an unwritten rule on here - "Doesn't exist without pics!"
    Thanks Spudmurphy. I can fully appreciate that sentiment but my bank account assures me it's definitely for "real" ;-))

I'll see if I can get a few photos together over the next few days (though we're busy at the weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Wow, you certainly dived right into a really awesome guitar!

Generally, the Floyd Rose system is great. You can find some great tutorials on restringing it on youtube.

One thing you will need to do is cut the ball ends off the strings, and then use the included allen wrenches to "lock" them into the bridge. Then you pass the string through the locking nut (you have to unlock it first). After that you wrap it around the string peg and wind it.

I will say that honestly a floyd rose can be frustrating. I have a bunch of guitars, and only two have floyd roses. They are great for what they are designed for, but they do require a bunch more work and can have a higher learning curve. However once they are set up and locked in, the tuning stability is incredible.
    Thanks for that. I didn't realise I had to cut off the ball ends of the strings but that's not a problem as I have a multi-purpose winder / cutter thing that will do the job. The other thing I was told I must do is to replace one string at a time as, if all strings are removed simultaneously, the tremelo block falls over and is a pain to get back upright. I'm very new to this and, as the guy who told me is Albert Lee's son, I'm taking heed!

Hi Paul welcome to the forum.
    I had a Jap EVH a few years ago which the Axis is based on.
    Loved it but couldn't live with the Floyd so I sold it after about a year.
    I was in town one day and on a whim I tried an EBMM Cutlass.
    I was so impressed that I sold the Strats and bought one.
    Not long after that ,hooked on the EBMM neck I sold a few other
    guitars and I bought a 2nd hand Axis super sport with a trem.
    I am now officially skint but it was worth it.
    On reflection I should have murdered the 1st wife sooner for the insurance money....
    Errr Just kidding officer...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Thanks for that. I didn't realise I had to cut off the ball ends of the strings but that's not a problem as I have a multi-purpose winder / cutter thing that will do the job. The other thing I was told I must do is to replace one string at a time as, if all strings are removed simultaneously, the tremelo block falls over and is a pain to get back upright. I'm very new to this and, as the guy who told me is Albert Lee's son, I'm taking heed!
    This is true of all floating tremolos, not just floyd rose equipped guitars. The bridge "floats" because it has springs in the back that counteract the string pull. When you remove one string, that tension is removed, so the springs pull it back and it will dip into the body. With the Y2D it is recessed quite a bit, so it can go in pretty far.

If you take all of the strings off, the bridge can pull off the pivots entirely.

It's not as easy, but the fretboard can be cleaned/conditioned with the strings on.

If you really want to get all the strings off, that's not really a big problem. You just need to pull off the back plate, and disconnect the springs as you take the strings off, and eventually you can take out the bridge entirely, or you can just put a towel in the recess and let it rest there.

Here's my trick for takingall the strings off Floyds...

With the strings tuned to pitch, put something behind the bridge to stop it falling into the cavity. A deck of playing cards or stack of post-its is ideal. Use just the right thickness of material so that the cards/post-its don't fall out and only barely pushes the bridge forward or detune the strings. Now you can slacken the strings and take them off. The back cards/post-it stop the bridge falling backwards and the back pull from teh springs keeps the cards in place. When you re-string, tuning up becomes very easy because the bridge is already almost in position.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

The only thing to be careful of is that whatever is used to prop up the bridge only contacts the bridge plate, and not the string clamps that the fine tuners act on.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Here's my trick for takingall the strings off Floyds...

With the strings tuned to pitch, put something behind the bridge to stop it falling into the cavity. A deck of playing cards or stack of post-its is ideal. Use just the right thickness of material so that the cards/post-its don't fall out and only barely pushes the bridge forward or detune the strings. Now you can slacken the strings and take them off. The back cards/post-it stop the bridge falling backwards and the back pull from teh springs keeps the cards in place. When you re-string, tuning up becomes very easy because the bridge is already almost in position.
    What he said - what manly man doesn't have a pack of dog-eared playing cards around?

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    The only thing to be careful of is that whatever is used to prop up the bridge only contacts the bridge plate, and not the string clamps that the fine tuners act on.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by kestrou View Post
    What he said - what manly man doesn't have a pack of dog-eared playing cards around?
    Doesn;t your guitar deserve brand new playing cards?

Yo! EBMM! How about some Music Man Beautiful Guitars playing cards? "Guitars from the Vault"?
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Yo! EBMM! How about some Music Man Beautiful Guitars playing cards? "Guitars from the Vault"?
    I'd go for a couple packs - or at least an EBMM calendar?!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Hi there
    I am also a newbie from Israel

Lior
    Monarchy Majesty 7 - Majestic Purple (Pending)

Welcome! Yes. PICS!! REQUIRED. please?

Personally, I usually string floyd equipped guitars "backwards" leaving the ball end sticking a millimeter or so out of the tuning peg. Habit from having cheaper gutters that would break strings at the bridge so I could unwind at the tuning peg a little and not have to replace the entire string m it stuck cause I liked the look.
    Last edited by Warg Master; 11-06-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    Balls..... everywhere!