Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: JP6 3rd String Muddy When Open

JP6 3rd String Muddy When Open

I finally got my hands on a JP6 recently and I'm incredibly happy with it.

However, I've noticed the 3rd (G) string sounds a little muddy when played open; like there's a hard cloth in the nut or something. It just doesn't have the same brilliance as strings 1 and 2 do, especially when I'm using the piezo. Obviously, when the 3rd string is fretted at any fret, it sounds fine. When you push the 3rd string down between the nut and tuners to put more tension on the nut, the problem is reduced quite a bit, but is still there.

I've carefully cleaned the nut slot for this string and it didn't help, so I took it to the GC I bought it at and asked the tech about it. I told him my assumption is that it just needed a new nut.

He took a look at it and said he could definitely hear what I was talking about, but didn't think a new nut could fix it. He mentioned the lack of string trees and the locking tuners and said what is likely going on is that there's nothing there to "pull" the string against the nut.

Has anyone else has this issue with their JP6? How did you solve it?

Hi electricdoor, welcome to the forum!

First, pick up the phone and call Music Mac customer service (see the links below this post). Their job is to help in these circumstances, and they're good at it too. If you bought your guitar new, you are covered by warranty. GC and/or Music Man will look after you. Call them, have a chat, see what they suggest.

Now, here's my two cents worth...

The problem is at the nut.

It's true that by virtue of the shallow angle behind the nut to the tuner post, G-strings tend to present more problems like yours than other strings. However, there is no reason this cannot be fixed. How many millions of guitars have been made without this problem (which is typically more common on Fender guitars by virtue of the longer distance between the nut and G-string tuning post, often without a string tree)? How many thousands of JP6's don't have this problem? The GC tech is also incorrect that the locking tuner is in any way implicated here.

I'd suggest the nut slot is very gently filed to ensure a good bearing surface and the correct angle back to the tuning post. That could resolve the issue. If that is not possible without that slot becoming too low (which would cause teh open string to buzz) then a new nut is a solution. That would be obtained from Music Man but if you are under warranty GC and Music Man will take care of that for you.

As I said, call Customer Service and see what they suggest. Let us know how you get on.

And before I forget, the unwritten forum rule is...

...you guitar doesn't exist without pictures!
    Last edited by DrKev; 11-03-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Yes! welcome! I've had binding issues in the nut, but nothing like you describe and I've had quite a few of these guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by electricdoor View Post
    I took it to the GC I bought it at and asked the tech about it. I told him my assumption is that it just needed a new nut.

He took a look at it and said he could definitely hear what I was talking about, but didn't think a new nut could fix it. He mentioned the lack of string trees and the locking tuners and said what is likely going on is that there's nothing there to "pull" the string against the nut.
    I'm sorry but I disagree with this completely. The tuners are behind the nut enough to give plenty of tension to keep the string on the nut. Not to mention the music man guitars have had this design for a very long time. My suggestion would be some sort of lubrication. I'm quite fond of Big Bend's Nut sauce! Although, you should probably do as was said before, call CS!
    Balls..... everywhere!