Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King medley/tab book (Majesty Artisan content)

User Info Menu

Good stuff. And thanks for showing me just how off my rendition of Christmas Eve is.

Out of curiosity, what setup are you playing through in these videos?
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Good stuff. And thanks for showing me just how off my rendition of Christmas Eve is.

Out of curiosity, what setup are you playing through in these videos?
    That song in particular was a bit tricky, in terms of proper positioning/how it was played on the record. I wanted to find the oldest possible footage of Pitrelli playing that song, because there have been many different guitarists in TSO with their own ways of playing it. I found a couple of tv appearances from 1998 that were somewhat helpful. Al played the vast majority of the leads on DWD, so I referenced his positioning on some parts. And some parts are just plain hard to hear, due to the density and layering of the mix. If only I had access to the isolated tracks for this stuff. Anyway, I think I've gotten it as close as humanly possible.

As far as gear goes, it's just guitar to Axe-Fx II XL+ to usb. I'm using the Friedman HBE amp model, here's a link to my patch: Friedman HBE Rhythm

Handful of Rain was fun/interesting to do, considering the vastly different playing styles compared to Criss Oliva. I've essentially learned 5 different players' styles over the course of this project: Criss Oliva, Jon Oliva, Alex Skolnick, Al Pitrelli, and Chris Caffery. It's been cool to pick up on their tendencies and unique characteristics.
    Majesty 7 Polar Noir
    Majesty 6 Artisan Marrone
    JP13-7
    JPXI-7
    Axis Super Sport Natural

User Info Menu

The Streets album is complete! I'm really happy and proud to have this one done, as it's probably my favorite Savatage album. I haven't transcribed A Little Too Far or Heal My Soul, since they're just piano and vocals. I did some tone-matching with my Axe-Fx for this video, I think I got pretty close!

Majesty 7 Polar Noir
    Majesty 6 Artisan Marrone
    JP13-7
    JPXI-7
    Axis Super Sport Natural