Ready to Roar

Thread: Koa Magic @ DT Meet & Greet

User Info Menu

Cool Koa Magic @ DT Meet & Greet

I finally got the balls to take my prized JP6 BFR Koa to a Dream Theater meet & greet last night, primarily just to have it with me in the band photo.

They try to keep the line moving at a quick pace for the photo session and tell the crowd not to chat up the band and to save all conversation for the signing session. So when it was my turn I got in place quickly and was prepared to follow orders when John came over to take a much closer look at the koa top on her (her name is Victoria, of course!). He was legitimately impressed with that top and said he had never seen one quite like that with the unique wrinkles throughout. Seriously, it's impossible to capture the magic of that top in a picture; you just have to hold it in person to really appreciate the depth and detail. We chatted about it for an extra minute or two about when/where I bought it and some of the setup details, and then a bit more during the actual signing session.

I'll probably never bring another one of my guitars to a meet and greet, but it was 100% worth it this one time to get that extra little bit of interaction with John and to witness such a genuine reaction from him.

Koa Magic @ DT Meet & Greet-dt_vip_band_pic-jpg

BONUS: While leaving the theater I ran into Jason Richardson! Didn't want to hold him up so I kept it short but real chill dude. Perfect ending to a very long day.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

Nice! Sounds like a fun time! This is one of my favorite things about JP, yes it's his signature, he's truly into the instruments!
    Balls..... everywhere!

User Info Menu

Great pic!!! That's a fabulous life moment right there!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

You didn't offer to let him borrow it for the show? What were you thinking?!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kestrou View Post
    You didn't offer to let him borrow it for the show? What were you thinking?!
    Of course I did!!! It has a brand new battery in it and fresh super slinkys ready to go! He chuckled a bit and did a little eyebrow raise
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warg Master View Post
    Nice! Sounds like a fun time! This is one of my favorite things about JP, yes it's his signature, he's truly into the instruments!
    Totally true. He was 100% genuine while admiring the craftsmanship, instead of just some quick pleasantries like "cool top". I really didn't expect him to be as intrigued as he was since I assume he has seen hundreds of these and has a few in his own collection.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

Awesome! I'd love to add a Koa to my stable at some point.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

It sounds like you had a really great day!

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Love that group pic!

Wonder if anyone is ever tempted to make a set list ahead of time and show it to the guys...
    "Ok guys, I thought we'd structure the show this way. With me taking solos here, here, and here. John following with shorter solos here and here. We can talk about it after the picture"
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kbaim View Post
    Love that group pic!

Wonder if anyone is ever tempted to make a set list ahead of time and show it to the guys...
    "Ok guys, I thought we'd structure the show this way. With me taking solos here, here, and here. John following with shorter solos here and here. We can talk about it after the picture"
    (John Myung then deadpans...)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

Congrats on your signing and the guitar. I had a Koa model years ago, and the tone and sustain on that thing were unmatched. It really had it's own sound and I miss it.
    Majesty Monarchy - Imperial Blue
    Schecter C1-XXX
    Schecter Diamond Series Bass
    Gretsch Duo Jet