Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Orange Peel Effect on EBMM guitars

Orange Peel Effect on EBMM guitars

Given that an EBMM guitar is full of 'orange peel', would EBMM take the guitar back sand it properly and paint it again to perfection?

Thanks for your time,

John

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight (pending)
    NOMAC MAJESTY #11 Timeworn Matte Silver

- Top Money Paid for a specific JP15 BUCKEYE BURL 6-String model released in Japan -

Guessing: If it was a warranty issue, either a refinish or replacement of the guitar. But you may have to work through your dealer, and any refinish would be back to the original color.

But there is only one to know for sure, call them and ask. See link in my signature.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Thanks a lot Dr. Kev =)

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

- Top Money Paid for a specific JP15 BUCKEYE BURL 6-String model released in Japan -

Do you have any pictures of this effect? Poly really does "cure" so that kind of problem should be very rare after finishing and buffing. Maybe it somehow missed the buffing stage on part of the body?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Do you have any pictures of this effect? Poly really does "cure" so that kind of problem should be very rare after finishing and buffing. Maybe it somehow missed the buffing stage on part of the body?
    Pictures cannot capture that unfortunately. You need to perform a natural light inspection in order to see the full extent of the effect.

However, I have seen quite a few EBMM guitars with "orange peel". To be honest, "orange peel" is un-acceptable for that level of instruments. Unfortunately, my JPXI's body is full of 'orange'. Not just some part of it. No worries on my part in any case, since we have one of the best luthiers/painters here in Greece, and I am exploring the idea of a Cardinal JPXI with REALLY big flakes. Like the ones they use on automobile paint-jobs. EBMM would not do that for me even under warranty.

I would also like a second hand of polish so that the instruments truly attain depth. I know however that this would add an extra 400$-500$ to the instrument price, therefore no complaining about that. Your luthier can always do that!!

Thanks a lot for the input T-Bone, greatly appreciated =)

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

Are you sure it isn’t an effect of the light hitting the flake or sparkle and tricking your eyes? My father was a custom finish/painter most of his life in everything from the custom automotive industry to very high end furniture (exotic wood executive furniture and the like) so his perfectionism and attention to detail was drilled into me quite young. Lots of finishes under the clear aren’t smooth looking; orange peel is only the top coats and in every Music Man I’ve owned played I haven’t see any with such a defect.

Quote Originally Posted by thankyouebmm View Post
    Are you sure it isn’t an effect of the light hitting the flake or sparkle and tricking your eyes? My father was a custom finish/painter most of his life in everything from the custom automotive industry to very high end furniture (exotic wood executive furniture and the like) so his perfectionism and attention to detail was drilled into me quite young. Lots of finishes under the clear aren’t smooth looking; orange peel is only the top coats and in every Music Man I’ve owned played I haven’t see any with such a defect.
    Oh, it's orange =D

Definitely not one of the worst I've seen but still.

Thanks a bunch however for posting!!

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    However, I have seen quite a few EBMM guitars with "orange peel".
    Wow. That is very surprising. Genuine orange peel is very rare. The year I worked for Paris's largest music store, I inspected over 4000 instruments and didn't see one single case of orange peel with any brand at any price. And Music Man are known for the quality of their finishes. If you've seen quite a few, of ANY brand, I'd be looking for a cause external to the factory, probably local to you.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Wow. That is very surprising. Genuine orange peel is very rare. The year I worked for Paris's largest music store, I inspected over 4000 instruments and didn't see one single case of orange peel with any brand at any price. And Music Man are known for the quality of their finishes. If you've seen quite a few, of ANY brand, I'd be looking for a cause external to the factory, probably local to you.
    Thanks a lot again for the input Dr. Kev,

The guitar in question was bought from the big German EBMM PDN dealer (I believe you know of the place I am referring to, I've seen some of your posts in which you were referring to it) several thousand miles away from me. They also apply an Inspection Quality Check Stamp behind the guitars they sell, which reads 'EBMM Music Meyer GmbH, Germany'. I owned a Pearl Red Burst JP6 in the past that exhibited the same effect. I just think it's impossible for the luthiers, in any factory not just EBMM, to miss this. Maybe, some guitars are labelled as 'Pass' even though they see it.

And yes, I've seen it on guitars from other brands and other price ranges as well. Guitars brought from all over the globe.

In any case, any JPXI is a killer machine, and paint jobs can always be re-done. So, no worries on that end =)

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

Are you sure you're not talking about WOOD GRAIN? There is no such thing as a perfectly flat surface on a piece of wood. it's IMPOSSIBLE, unless you use something thick like fullerplast to seal the heck out of the guitar.

Due to variations in temperature and moisture, different parts of the grain will expand an contract. I have owned guitars from many different makers, and perfectly flat finishes simply do not exist.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Are you sure you're not talking about WOOD GRAIN? There is no such thing as a perfectly flat surface on a piece of wood. it's IMPOSSIBLE, unless you use something thick like fullerplast to seal the heck out of the guitar.

Due to variations in temperature and moisture, different parts of the grain will expand an contract. I have owned guitars from many different makers, and perfectly flat finishes simply do not exist.
    I wish we could meet up for a couple of beers and some guitar playing!! =D

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso