New Prodigy

Thread: JP7 BFR mono input issue (i think so at least)

User Info Menu

Exclamation JP7 BFR mono input issue (i think so at least)

Hi guys it seems that the mono/piezo input of my guitar is malfunctioning as i receive a weak signal through my pc speakers.I havent changed the battery yet, but is the battery related to the passive dimarzio pickups somehow?I am using a mono guitar cable as instructed.Stereo/magnetic input is ok
    Any ideas?

User Info Menu

When the battery is low, even the mag output suffers. There's an active buffer in there even when only using the mags. Give a new battery a try before anything else.
    Balls..... everywhere!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warg Master View Post
    When the battery is low, even the mag output suffers. There's an active buffer in there even when only using the mags. Give a new battery a try before anything else.
    This is what i did and it worked...still its awkward to me that a passive pickup needs a battery to operate.

User Info Menu

Long story short, you't can mix the magnetic and piezo signals together without the preamp, so that's why it's there on the mono output. And unfortunately that requires power. (Though the preamp has a very low current draw, so batteries should last a long time.)

The magnetic pickups themselves don't need it. If you use the stereo output with a mono cable, I believe that will bypass the preamp so you get a passive output of magnetic pickups only.

The pickup doesn't need the battery - it's passive. The buffer does. (Like any pedal on your board.)
    Last edited by beej; 01-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Long story short, you't can mix the magnetic and piezo signals together without the preamp, so that's why it's there on the mono output. And unfortunately that requires power. (Thought the preamp has a very low current draw, so batteries should last a long time.)

The magnetic pickups themselves don't need it. If you use the stereo output with a mono cable, I believe that will bypass the preamp so you get a passive output of magnetic pickups only.

The pickup doesn't need the battery - it's passive. The buffer does. (Like any pedal on your
    Yeah, I had the guitar through the stereo input using a mono cable, same signal and tone minus the piezo