Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Putting Duncan pickups in EBMM Axis

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    278
    If you are interested in selling those Axis pickups, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
    Stevie

    EBMM Axis Gold Flame
    EBMM Axis Tribute Purple Quilt
    Warmoth Strat Purple Quilt
    Warmoth Strat Tobacco Burst Quilt

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    If you are interested in selling those Axis pickups, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
    I doubt I’ll sell the pickups but thanks for the offer. I’ve had several inquiries about them but I’ll keep them in the case if I do remove them...which I’m pretty sure I’m going to.

    But whatever changes I make, I want to be reversible. That’s why I’m using a concentric dual pot instead of drilling a hole to add a tone control.

    It’s ironic that Eddie uses such hot pickups in his EVH, Peavey and EBMM guitars because his most highly regarded music was made with the homemade Strat with what was most likely an old Gibson humbucker.

    A lot of mixed information about that pickup but maybe it came from an ES-335.

    I can understand an artist’s tastes changing but most Van Halen nuts prefer his sound with that homemade Strat with a single humbucker.

    I should add that I’m primarily a blues player. Big fan of Mike Bloomfield, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King...and 60’s British Blues guys like Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor.

    Like EVH, I kind of lost interest in Clapton when he switched to a Strat. But I love those Les Paul through a Marshall tones.

    I play through Fenders myself...and a Vox AC30. Celestion speakers tho. And no pedals except for a little Reverb...and a little echo sometimes.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-13-2018 at 04:25 AM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    14
    Fu Tone and some other make brass pickup mounts. Contact them and see if they would give you the height you need. Those pickups are quite versatile for being “hot” and is why they come in other models like the Albert Lee HH.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by thankyouebmm View Post
    Fu Tone and some other make brass pickup mounts. Contact them and see if they would give you the height you need. Those pickups are quite versatile for being “hot” and is why they come in other models like the Albert Lee HH.
    Just not my tone. I’m used to the Seth Lovers, Antiquitys, 59’s, Pearly Gates and Tom Holmes pickups in my other guitars, and that’s what I want to hear. I also prefer Alnico 2 PAF style humbuckers. But I love the guitar itself. Plays like a dream and the Floyd is a gas!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The English Countryside
    Posts
    865
    Funnily my interest in EVH came when he started using the EBMM. His tones on the For Unlawful and Balance albums are just perfect to my ears.
    Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport Natural Quilt DOB 16/05/08

    Ernie Ball Music Man EVH Hardtail Red DOB 14/01/93


    "What is understood need not be discussed"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Funnily my interest in EVH came when he started using the EBMM. His tones on the For Unlawful and Balance albums are just perfect to my ears.
    I love the way Eddie sounds playing the EBMM...and the Peavey and the EVH and the Frankenstein. But my style is jazzy blues and I want this wonderful ax to sound like me. And EBMM hasn’t offered me a Lew Collins signature model.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    3,187
    The output on those pickups is much lower than most modern pickups. To my ears, they are heaven, but to each his own. I think the EVH bridge is the best Iíve heard on Godís green earth.

    but hey, I have weird tastes. Lol


    fingerchili.com

    Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)



  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    969
    I guess I have weird taste too!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

    Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jena, Germany
    Posts
    96
    I believe one of the reasons why these pickups seem not as hot as others with similar dc resistance readings is, that pickup height is low, resp. the distance to strings is rather large.

    I can understand that one doesn't like them, but I do. They're rock pickups fur sure, and for this they're the best out there, period.

    I have and had several EBMM guitars in the last 14 years, which I all bought used, and many of them came with aftermarket pickups. Anytime I plug in the real thing, I think this is it!
    I did have a time when I thought, the Dimarzio AT-1 was so close and even better, but I have to admit, it just isn't (really great pickup on its own though).

    I just got a pair of used Dimarzio EVH/ASS Custom pickups for 150EUR off ebay to get my HSS AS back to somewhat stock. The AT-1 just cannot cope with it.

    What I want to say, Lewguitar, keep the pickups. Just in case your taste may change or you might want to sell the guitar.
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red
    2001 Silo Special HSS hardtail maple fretboard BlueDawn ** for sale **
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H


    SOLD! 201? SBMM AX20 Rockstar Edition

    SOLD! 1999 Axis Super Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold How could I ? stupid idiot...

    SOLD! 1999 Axis Sport H-H hardtail maple fretboard black


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I believe one of the reasons why these pickups seem not as hot as others with similar dc resistance readings is, that pickup height is low, resp. the distance to strings is rather large.

    I can understand that one doesn't like them, but I do. They're rock pickups fur sure, and for this they're the best out there, period.

    I have and had several EBMM guitars in the last 14 years, which I all bought used, and many of them came with aftermarket pickups. Anytime I plug in the real thing, I think this is it!
    I did have a time when I thought, the Dimarzio AT-1 was so close and even better, but I have to admit, it just isn't (really great pickup on its own though).

    I just got a pair of used Dimarzio EVH/ASS Custom pickups for 150EUR off ebay to get my HSS AS back to somewhat stock. The AT-1 just cannot cope with it.

    What I want to say, Lewguitar, keep the pickups. Just in case your taste may change or you might want to sell the guitar.
    Yeah...they are a mile away from the Strings. When I hold the strings down at the highest fret the pickups are still 1/4” away from the strings. To me, that eliminates a certain treble “kiss” that I like to hear...but don’t with these pickups. I guess I just like the sound of vintage Gibson’s or pickups very similar to 50’s PAFs. Like the Duncan Seth Lovers (without covers) or Duncan Antiquitys in my other guitars. But I love this Axis. I love playing it unplugged too. Very resonant. It’s a nicer guitar than my previous Axis which was a little older and did not have a Floyd Rose.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sin City!!!
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Tollies Axis is awesome. Totally mad.
    I believe he named that one "Oinky"... haha
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    17
    IMHO donít....lace alumitone hum7/DB7 my friend
    Best set EVER

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by LenaEBMMfan View Post
    IMHO don’t....lace alumitone hum7/DB7 my friend
    Best set EVER
    I’m sure they’re great.

    I know what I like tho, and have brand new sets of both Seth Lovers and Antiquitys sitting in a drawer. Time to pick one set and put it to good use. If I go for Seth’s I’ll remove the covers first. I prefer that sound...stronger and livlier.

    I got the 500k dual concentric volume and tone 500k pot and knobs now too...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    Iím sure theyíre great.

    I know what I like tho, and have brand new sets of both Seth Lovers and Antiquitys sitting in a drawer. Time to pick one set and put it to good use. If I go for Sethís Iíll remove the covers first. I prefer that sound...stronger and livlier.

    I got the 500k dual concentric volume and tone 500k pot and knobs now too...
    Oh well Iím late anyway as well lol

    I WAS under impression you wanted other ideas but if u got what u like then AWESOME, MORE POWER to ya

    Sound clips.?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by LenaEBMMfan View Post
    Oh well I’m late anyway as well lol

    I WAS under impression you wanted other ideas but if u got what u like then AWESOME, MORE POWER to ya

    Sound clips.?
    Thanks for your suggestion Lena.

    What I was hoping for was hearing from someone who’s done what I’m about to do.

    My concern was that the legs of the Dimarzios will be shorter than the Duncan’s, requiring me to cut or re-bend the legs of the Duncan’s.

    But I don’t think it’ll be an issue since I plan to put a maple shim at least 1/8” thick under the new pickups to raise them to the height and distance from the strings that matches the way I have the Seth Lovers and Antiquitys set up in my PRS guitars and then screw them in much like the Dimarzios are screwed in now.

    I’m pretty fussy. I’m 68, have been playing for over 50 years, and know what I like. I replaced the pickups in all of my PRS guitars, my Strats and even my Es-335.

    Just a bit obsessive I guess.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; Yesterday at 02:41 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Paradigm