Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting Duncan pickups in EBMM Axis

I think the issue will be the legs- Dimarzios have triangular legs, so you'll have to be conscious of that when putting in Duncan's. You might need to file the legs to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I replaced the pickups in all of my PRS guitars, my Strats and even my Es-335.
    Was the ES-335 not PAF-y enough for you?
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Was the ES-335 not PAF-y enough for you?
    A lot folks aren’t crazy about the 57 Classics. Or the pots which are not 500k.

My 335 now has Tom Holmes humbuckers and 500k pots

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    A lot folks aren’t crazy about the 57 Classics. Or the pots which are not 500k.

My 335 now has Tom Holmes humbuckers and 500k pots
    I'm in over my head at this point on Gibson pickups - not a world I know that much about. Just struck me funny. I'm glad you've found the right stuff to scratch your itch!
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I'm in over my head at this point on Gibson pickups - not a world I know that much about. Just struck me funny. I'm glad you've found the right stuff to scratch your itch!
    Oh. Well then:

Some treble bleeds through your volume and tone controls to ground, and doesn’t make it to your amplifier, even when both controls are full up...on 10.

The higher the resistance of your volume and tone pots, the more treble.

Fender single coils usually sound best with 250k pots. Losing a little treble warms them up a bit.

Now I’m curious what EBMM is using in my Axis! Guess I’ll find out.

To me, most humbuckers sound better with 500k pots. They’re not as bright as Strat or Telecaster pickups so retaining some treble sounds better...at least to me.

Lew - without ordering custom shop Seth´s or Antiquity´s you are not going to be able to get those pickups in there. The Dimarzio´s in the Axis have a shorter foot (like regular production Seymour´s) and as such the added height of the vintage Gibson style foot (feet?) on the Seth´s and Ant´s will be too tall. There are two solutions: you can replace the base plates with standard Seymour production ones, or order Floor Special (possibly Custom Shop) ones with the standard base plates. With any of these you will have to modify the tabs to fit the triangular routes for the Dimarzio feet as well.

Another option I would suggest is the Dimarzio PAF style pickups -the 36th Anniversary and PAF Master. Dimarzio uses Larry Dimarzio´s ´59 Les Paul to voice these and they sound very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skoorbdooh View Post
    Lew - without ordering custom shop Seth´s or Antiquity´s you are not going to be able to get those pickups in there. The Dimarzio´s in the Axis have a shorter foot (like regular production Seymour´s) and as such the added height of the vintage Gibson style foot (feet?) on the Seth´s and Ant´s will be too tall. There are two solutions: you can replace the base plates with standard Seymour production ones, or order Floor Special (possibly Custom Shop) ones with the standard base plates. With any of these you will have to modify the tabs to fit the triangular routes for the Dimarzio feet as well.

Another option I would suggest is the Dimarzio PAF style pickups -the 36th Anniversary and PAF Master. Dimarzio uses Larry Dimarzio´s ´59 Les Paul to voice these and they sound very nice.
    That was exactly my concern and you’re the first to address it. I’m going to install the concentric volume and tone pot in the next day or two and when I do I’ll remove one of the pickups and compare the legs and see what’s possible...and impossible.

Thanks!