Ernie Ball Paradigm

View Poll Results: What should I do with the push-pull switch?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard 5-way + add bridge to any selection

4 21.05%
  • Series-parallel on the bridge humbucker?

8 42.11%
  • Add a volume boost?

4 21.05%
  • Something else cool (tell us below)

5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Cool things to do with a push-pull switch!

After much thought, I wanted to do series humbucker with my modified stock SS wiring and parallel humbucker with standard strat wiring but it's just not possible, with even a super switch and a DPDT push-pull (I'd need another DPDT, or a Game Changer). But series/parallel wins the vote and will be the most useful to me. So that's what I'll do!

And I'll record samples of each of the Area '58, '61, and '67 in the neck position for reference to the stock single and because I don't think anybody has ever compared all three Area pickups in the same guitar in the same position.

Thanks again for your votes everyone!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

I learned a lot about the differences between series/parallel and split with a Duncan BG-1400 which is a humbucking telecaster pickup that I put in a F style Esquire I made. After reading a lot of different takes on it, I decided to install a switch so I could hear the series/parallel and split sounds for myself. I was really surprised that the splitting didn't sound like I expected it to. When the pickup was in parallel, it sounded more like what I'd like the split sound to be.

Looking forward to hearing your sound samples!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

I've had a number of guitars with series/split/parallel switches, so I've spent quite a bit of time with it. To a large extent, it depends what kind of pickup you're working with.

Splitting a humbucker doesn't usually get you a good single coil tone, it's just not the same thing. Ditto parallel wiring. It's different than split - though it sounds closer to that than series wiring, and it's humbucking.

Parallel has much less inductance than the split configuration, and can result in more highs (which is what some people like about single coils). I find it doesn't usually get me the "spank" of a single coil or split, but it's good for clean sounds and it's quiet. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    And I'll record samples of each of the Area '58, '61, and '67 in the neck position for reference to the stock single and because I don't think anybody has ever compared all three Area pickups in the same guitar in the same position.!
    Hey that'll be cool. I've done this, but didn't get around to recording anything. Interested to see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I've had a number of guitars with series/split/parallel switches, so I've spent quite a bit of time with it. To a large extent, it depends what kind of pickup you're working with.

Splitting a humbucker doesn't usually get you a good single coil tone, it's just not the same thing. Ditto parallel wiring. It's different than split - though it sounds closer to that than series wiring, and it's humbucking.

Parallel has much less inductance than the split configuration, and can result in more highs (which is what some people like about single coils). I find it doesn't usually get me the "spank" of a single coil or split, but it's good for clean sounds and it's quiet. YMMV.
    Yeah! Even though I’ve done splits and series/parallel wiring in the past, it was hard for me to know what the difference was without doing all three on a single pickup. Sound samples are really useful because the names didn’t mean anything without hearing how it sounds. At least for me :-)
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Series/Parallel is the one I really like.

In a SSS guitar I like the "add neck pickup" to whatever the 5-way switch is set to. That way you can get that bridge/neck sound or the all three pickup sound.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    I don't see Blow/blower switch on yer list (sends full bridge pup straight to output, bypasses all other circuits regardless of settings...like having the bridge pup wired direct to output)
    I've done this, along with the add pup and the series/parallel on different gittars.
    All depends on what you want / what's missing for you.
    *fwiw, I really prefer using S/P rather than coil splits since I discovered it....
    I agree with this!!
    Balls:

2017 JP6 - Starry Night
    2012 JP6 BFR - Black Quilt
    25th Anniversary - Venetian Red
    2014 Albert Lee HH - White
    2001 Silhouette Special - Las Vegas Gold