Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Steve Morse model neck size differences over the years.

Steve Morse model neck size differences over the years.

Hey everyone, new here and this is my first post. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I was curious to see if you guys have noticed the difference in neck sizes on the Morse guitars depending upon what era they are from? I had a Standard from like 2010 and the neck felt really really thin to me. I have a 2001 thats a little thicker than that and 2 from the 90's that are chunky (which I love, especially my 95) While I haven't actually measured them, there is absolutley no denying that the necks are different thicknesses (front to back, not width).
    Anywho, I just wanted to see what you guys had to say. Thanks!
    BTW these are all Standards. I don't have the Y2D....anymore...sold them both

Welcome on board, hope you enjoy.
    It is commom that EBMM introduced a slightly thinner neck with the Y2D in 2005 an put it also on the Standard Morse from there on. Mine is just before that change, early 2005.
    I got to try out an early 90s Morse (one with 6 bolts) last year and also had the impression that the neck was a bit more chunky than mine. Donīt know if there was a earlier change or if it is just because sanding is/was done by hand.
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: DREiNS, Shelter50, The BlueScream

I think that's right, beyond the two profiles (well, three if you count the early ones with lacquered necks- that adds thickness), it's the differences you notice due to hand sanding.

Here’s Steve demonstrating his original signature model...and his new/simplified signature model.

Steve Morse demonstrates his signature guitars - YouTube

A.J. is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service
    The dark lord and the BFRs that we released last year (and one that will come this year) all have a fatter profile too.
    "Hello! This is A.J.! How can I help you?"

If you have any questions or concerns please email me: aj@ernieball.com

PMs and messages written on my wall are not addressed as quickly as emails.

If you want to know when your instrument was completed please post in one of the serial number threads.

Oh that's interesting- thanks A.J.