Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Buzzing on new STV-60

Buzzing on new STV-60

I recently picked up the STV-60 for my young daughter, and I've enjoyed playing it myself.

I noticed that the low E string was buzzing, as well as the A, so I slightly adjusted the truss and slightly raised the low E saddle. I'm hearing also vibration noise in the body. And I think it's the tremolo, whether the bar is attached or not. I say that might be the source because if I play (mainly the low E), I hear that buzz, which stops as soon as I touch the tremolo bridge.

I'd like to see if I might fix it before spending more on having a professional look at it.

Any suggestions on what might be the source? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Did it buzz before you raised the low E? Could be that one of the saddle screws is not making contact with the base plate. Also I think there is a cover on that bridge? Maybe it's loose?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Good ideas. I lowered the saddle. The bridge doesn't have a cover, but I could hear a couple of buzzes. I tightened the screws on the pickguard, which helped. I loosened the truss rod some more because the low E was back to buzzing. The bridge is still buzzing, just more faintly. But it's enough that I hear it, which bugs me.

I've turned the truss now 3 times, 1/4 turn each time. That seems like a lot, but I don't know if that's unusual or not. Sadly, all my close guitar-playing friends don't live nearby anymore.

A quick follow-up: After trying a couple of things, I took it to my local shop, where the guy was familiar with Ernie Ball. The bridge was floating just a hair too much and was the source for the buzzing. So, he adjusted the bridge to remove the buzzing and then the saddles & truss to get the action nice and low. So, it's now playing great.

However, the tremolo bar is stuck and won't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeason View Post
    A quick follow-up: After trying a couple of things, I took it to my local shop, where the guy was familiar with Ernie Ball. The bridge was floating just a hair too much and was the source for the buzzing. So, he adjusted the bridge to remove the buzzing and then the saddles & truss to get the action nice and low. So, it's now playing great.

However, the tremolo bar is stuck and won't come out.

If you remove the plastic trem spring cover on the back you will see a tiny hole in the tremolo block. There is a tiny hex screw in there that sets the depth of the bar. You (or the local shop you used) can simply adjust (tighten) this screw until the bar is more easily removed.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Thanks! I see it and think I can adjust that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeason View Post
    Thanks! I see it and think I can adjust that.
    It’s a 1.5mm.

I also recommend using light duty thread locker, as that adjustment screw works its way down from vibration, and you’ll have to adjust again.
    Also, if you dive the trem and look through the rear of the unit, you’ll see another 1.5mm screw. That adjusts the bars tension.

I hope that this helps.

Brian
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

Brian - former VP??? Bummer to see you're no longer with Praxis/SBMM. You always provided outstanding service. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Quote Originally Posted by SBMM View Post
    It’s a 1.5mm.

I also recommend using light duty thread locker, as that adjustment screw works its way down from vibration, and you’ll have to adjust again.
    Also, if you dive the trem and look through the rear of the unit, you’ll see another 1.5mm screw. That adjusts the bars tension.

I hope that this helps.

Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

Brian
    Brian I love and like your "Guru" signature!
    Last edited by Nhoj; 01-31-2018 at 11:44 PM.