Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD – Axis Semi Hollow

NGD – Axis Semi Hollow

*yawn… just another ‘boring’ black guitar…..

GoKart Mozart did me 2 favors recently (thanks buddy… I owe you…)
    First he bought that beautiful Axis Sport MM90 that had been tempting me for some time on Reverb (I just didn’t need it as I already have a beautiful ASS MM90, but it was a really good deal…), then he posted this-

Well, an Axis semi-hollow has been on my short list since they came out, and I couldn’t pass up the exceptional deal I got this one for! It’s in fabulous shape, and really does have a different voicing from my solid body ASS. Personally, I really like the black & cream finish. It reminds me of the ‘stealth’ Wolfgangs, and basic black is always classy and in style. Apparently, these are somewhat rare as well, as I’ve seen very few Axis semi-hollows with an opaque top. Most have figured tops and trans finishes (which are gorgeous…and a lot more $$ ). And I’ve yet to find a picture of another one with this specific configuration – black top, rosewood fret board, and unpainted headstock… makes me wonder how many, if any others just like this even exist.
    Anyway, on with a few pics.

My Albert Lee's are my #1 guitars, but these Axis models are a close second...
    Someday when I have time I’ll get pics of our little Axis family all together…
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

Nice. I took a long look at that one myself. I've been wanting a semi-hollow, but I'm waiting on the "right one," also the "right" amount of money in my bank account.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Never seen a semi-hollow that wasn't a trans finish - that's nice! Congrats!
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    *yawn… just another ‘boring’ black guitar…..

GoKart Mozart did me 2 favors recently (thanks buddy… I owe you…)
    First he bought that beautiful Axis Sport MM90 that had been tempting me for some time on Reverb (I just didn’t need it as I already have a beautiful ASS MM90, but it was a really good deal…), then he posted this-

Dude!! I'm glad you ended up with it! haha
    Now THAT looks handsome! Awesome score.

Reminds me of one I was watching on Reverb about 6 months ago; it was a semi-hollow with MM90s and it was listed for only $950! Still kicking myself over that one.

Congrats! That's a GC finish for sure. The semis are awesome. Have a MM90 semi which has been my go-to for a while.
    “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” - Keith Richards

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Black Star HT-1
    Bad Cat 2x12

Nice! Can you give us a run-down on the Semi-Hollow? How does it compare to the normal ASS or Axis? A real classy look!

Last edited by dibart77; 01-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Sweet axe! You have me rethinking whether or not to relist and sell mine!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Very nice guitar! Congrats!
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Nice! Can you give us a run-down on the Semi-Hollow? How does it compare to the normal ASS or Axis? A real classy look!

[/CENTER]
    I'm not good at giving 'tone reports'... I can hear and feel them, but not so good at describing them.

However, I'd say this review pretty much nails it---

"One of the reasons the Axis is still such a hit after all these years is because of these particular DiMarzio pickups. There are other pickups that are rather a lot like these in the DiMarzio catalog (the Tone Zone in the bridge position and Air Norton in the neck) but neither of those pickups is exactly the same, and the subtle differences really add up. The bridge pickup has more bite and less bass than the Tone Zone, and the neck model has smoother pick attack than the Air Norton. In the semi-hollow body of this guitar, these pickups are darkened very slightly compared to in the solid body version, and this makes it a little better suited to vintage styles – albeit a hotter take on vintage tone – rather than the hot-rodded LA street machine tone of the Axis. The tone of the neck pickup is very full, deep and round, while the bridge pickup has a dry, direct punch to it. The single coil modes are quite nice, with plenty of zip and spank, meaning you can get some great country and blues tones out of this baby too. And there’s still enough humbucker raunch to get some great hard rock tones.

The best thing about this great-sounding guitar though is its sheer interactivity. Differences in pick attack and nuances in fretting technique seem to be emphasised rather than smoothed over and compressed, which the solid body version seems to do just a tiny bit (at least in comparison to this). It’s one of those guitars that really rewards you when you lean into a note, and for this reason it’s an utterly gorgeous guitar for styles like blues and fusion. But really it’s a great all-rounder."

Full review here- REVIEW: Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport Semi Hollowbody - I Heart Guitar

** great blog I've been following for years, btw...
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

I need to find a way to incorporate a semi-hollow into my stable. Nice guitar, enjoy it!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Congrats to your new guitar. Wonder what would be the difference to the 25th anniversary sound- wise...

Cheers, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mischi_miyagi View Post
    Congrats to your new guitar. Wonder what would be the difference to the 25th anniversary sound- wise...
    Interesting question... the 25th being chambered (but not vented -- or whatever... the chambers aren't open to the air).

Exactly the reason behind my question... Do you have both models in your collection for comparison?

Cheers, Michael

I have them both but it's been a while since I did a side by side comparison. From what I recall: Acoustically the Axis Semi is louder just as it should be and lighter in weight than the 25th/Reflex. The 25th/Reflex has covered pickups which gives it a slightly different sound when plugged in. The 25th/Reflex sounds a little smoother but similar to the Axis Semi. I'd have to plug them in again and do a listen.

My Axis Semi-hollow has a maple/rosewood neck and my 25th has a full maple neck so that may make a difference sonically.
    Overall, I prefer the 25th mainly because of the right arm contour but I think it was a toss up between the two sound wise. The necks are similar enough that I enjoy them both. The 25th has a slightly flatter radius but I don't really notice it. I think folks would be happy with either of these. I'll probably sell my Axis Semi because I play the 25th more.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Thx for your reply as I was on the fence for buying a semi-hollow but I always imagined that it might be too similar to my 25th.

Cheers, Michael