Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Luke: Is lack of pick guard an issue

Luke: Is lack of pick guard an issue

Hi everyone...

Been lurking for quite a while... lots of great info and seems like a great group of people.

So my question is this:

Iíve been interested in a Luke for quite some time now, but Iím an older guy and grew up with pick guards so I tend to anchor my fingers on the face of the guitar (where the pick guard would normally be).

So just wondering, Does anyone here anchor their fingers on the face of their Luke guitar when picking and if so how does the finish hold up?

Finish is great. Polyester. All good. Axis and Luke 1 and Luke II and Luke III all have no pickguard and life is good. Unless maybe you're a crazy punk guy who strums like crazy, you are fine.

No problem with any of the Luke models for me. I play generally with a pick, but often with fingers, and depending on what I'm playing, I may anchor my right hand on the face of the guitar. It's fine.
    1993 LUKE I Pearl Blue DOB: 15/12/93
    1998 LUKE II Luke Blue DOB: 05/10/98 Signed by Lucious
    2012 LUKE II PDN Classic Honey Burst DOB: 31/08/12
    2013 LIII HH Bodhi Blue DOB: 17/09/13

Fractal MFC101
    Matrix GT1000FX
    Marshall 4x12 & 2x12

Should be no issue at all had plenty of Lukes without a problem.

My matte finish Majesty Arctic Dream has a little shiny spot between the pups just below the top E string where my fingers sometimes rest. My Takamine acoustic doesn't have a pick guard and has a much bigger shiny patch on it's otherwise matte finish. Even my ebony Les Paul now has a little dull patch on the otherwise shiny surface because I removed the pick guard.

I should note that I usually wash my hands before playing.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream

I rest my fingers just above the pickup selector and have zero issues with the finish. Been playing Luke’s for almost two decades.

No problem here. I sometimes anchor my pinkie at the middle pickup or humbucker- depends on what I'm playing and whether it's with a pick or fingers.
    2005 Candy Red Luke II (11/29/05)
    Grey SUB1 (Da Beater)
    1996 Axis Blue Quilt

I've thought about this in the past too. Honestly, you'll notice the difference at first but if you give it a little time you absolutely will become totally accustomed to it. Over the years I've done more than a thousand gigs switching from electric guitar to mandolin. If I can do that seamlessly without ever thinking about it, you can get used to a guitar with no pickguard. I promise!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I've thought about this in the past too. Honestly, you'll notice the difference at first but if you give it a little time you absolutely will become totally accustomed to it. Over the years I've done more than a thousand gigs switching from electric guitar to mandolin. If I can do that seamlessly without ever thinking about it, you can get used to a guitar with no pickguard. I promise!
    Well it wasnít so much of an issue as to whether or not I could get used to it, the issue is whether or not I would wear a spot on the top where I might anchor my fingers.

"Well it wasn’t so much of an issue as to whether or not I could get used to it, the issue is whether or not I would wear a spot on the top where I might anchor my fingers"

Welcome Moozak !

my JP6 seems fine / High gloss polyester / both Luke and JP have the same finish and it seems much more durable than the LP Standard I played heavily for 12 years and there where no real noticeable wear marks on that.

One thing I have noticed in searching form my next used EBMM that the neck seems to discolor more that anything else, have not seen a heavily played EBMM with any noticeable body wear marks. At least this has been my experience.

I also was going for a Luke initially but I had a chance to try out the JP6 and WOW loving it / I will get a Luke but "prolly" after I get an Axis I suspect. These guitars are addictive because they are so inspiring, my level of play has exponentially improved !!

Good Luck !!!
    Last edited by click track; 01-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.

No problem whatsoever...
    2017 Luke III Bodhi Blue
    2017 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

The Axis was my main guitar for ages and the lack of pick guard was never an issue. My main guitars now DO however, but to me it's just a looks thing.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

No pickguard hasn't been a problem for me either. It's just such a great playing guitar that you just find yourself playing and not thinking about the guitar or the feature set.

At least that's my experience.