Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: Input jack on majesty cuts out with pressure

User Info Menu

Question Input jack on majesty cuts out with pressure

Hey everyone...
    So, I have many majesty guitars including monarchy's. I have two 2014 guitars that when I use a planet waves cable ( and some others ) will cut out ONLY if i twist the angled end or put some pressure on them. (one guitar is worse than others ).

I have tested cords, batteries etc....I did contact EBMM customer service and got new jacks...but just putting it out of this is a know issue with this combo jack?

Some info says monster cables cause this....but I have two this happened to...the monarchy guitars or newer ones seem fine...seems just the ones i purchased used...

Any one have ideas?

Thanks...

User Info Menu

I have not had any difficulty using different cables with any of my JPs/Majesty. Monster has a rep of being a little erratic. I have some monsters in my signal chain but not used in the guitar. My cable of choice (which is no longer made) is a planet waves stereo cable from the series where they had the compression springs on the insert. Pic below.

Input jack on majesty cuts out with pressure-pol_pm_planet-waves-pw-ins-20-kabel-546_1-jpg
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Guitars with active electronics have a part of the input jack that tells the guitar when a cord is plugged in. Most likely, this is the part that is having the problem, and it is not losing contact with the cord. Some brands of cables use different specifications on their 1/4 inch plugs, particularly at the tip, which can cause issues with the contacts that "detect" the presence of a cable.

I bought a Luke III from someone who said the input jack was going, and even included a spare. I have not had a single issue with the input jack, so it may have been the cable.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Guitars with active electronics have a part of the input jack that tells the guitar when a cord is plugged in. Most likely, this is the part that is having the problem, and it is not losing contact with the cord. Some brands of cables use different specifications on their 1/4 inch plugs, particularly at the tip, which can cause issues with the contacts that "detect" the presence of a cable.

I bought a Luke III from someone who said the input jack was going, and even included a spare. I have not had a single issue with the input jack, so it may have been the cable.
    Yes...I was thinking that as well...
    However, I tried several cables...most of which I could recreate the problem...
    So then It could be the battery connection TO the input jack that is faulty?

User Info Menu

Yeah I have six of these...maj and maj/mon and haven't had any issues..the two maj's I purchased used...but its so odd both have the same problem

User Info Menu

Maybe there is some dirt in there? Canned air and contact cleaner are your friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Gregori View Post
    Yeah I have six of these...maj and maj/mon and haven't had any issues..the two maj's I purchased used...but its so odd both have the same problem
    That is what I think....my tech basically said that some cables have different properties the metals...
    This can cause different levels of contact with the jack ( I guess ).

So...IT most likely seems it is not the jack but some contact dirt/issue causing the problem and should get resolved without replacing the jack.

The myth of "stretching" the jack with monster cables et al isn't really "reality"...the diameter of the cable can cause certain build up resulting in this issue.

I used a different cable on my gig...and it worked fine...only that cable was reliable...believe it or not it was a planet waves cable station end..LOL..

So Ill keep you posted once he cleans the jack if i can use BIG boy cables again :P

User Info Menu

So here is an update...
    The jack was cleaned on both guitars...no change.
    Contacted customer service they basically said that the barrel jacks used CAN get stretched out from use and switching to smaller cables can then lead to a problem...new jacks on the way so....keep it updated

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it! I have a bunch of Hamer guitars, which used flush mounted jacks. The jack getting stretched out is a known issue, unfortunately, so I tend to look out for the "high end" cables which often seem to have oversized plugs. I've never had trouble with my usual cable brands like CBI and Ernie Ball.