Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: EBMM EVH model pickups were . . .

User Info Menu

EBMM EVH model pickups were . . .

a Tone Zone in the bridge, an Air Norton in the neck? I heard that on an EVH theme webcast from a knowledgable source. But a closed thread on here was all over the place with thoughts, most saying they were specific to that guitar and not obtainable. Any more thoughts?

User Info Menu

You are correct. They are proprietary and you canít buy them. Closest you can get are Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. If you head over to the DiMarzio site youíll find the info there.
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

According to Dimarzio, the closest available pickups are a standard-spaced Air Norton (DP193) and an F-spaced AT-1 (DP224F) (rather than a TZ).

They're close, but not the same.

User Info Menu

I don’t know, but the evh guitar expert said that dimarzio and ebmm just say they are proprietary. So I just throw that out there. I don’t know if there could be legal reasons for that. What do they say that the axis has?

User Info Menu

Dimarzio makes the pickups (in the EVH, Axis, AL HH) just for Music Man. So they are not available, except in a Music Man guitar. Sometimes you can find them used.

The pickups I mentioned earlier are the closest to those pickups that Dimarzio will sell you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jwp333 View Post
    I don’t know, but the evh guitar expert said that dimarzio and ebmm just say they are proprietary. So I just throw that out there. I don’t know if there could be legal reasons for that. What do they say that the axis has?
    They're proprietary to the design of that specific model. Just as S&S can *approximate* the Harley Davidson engine, so too can DiMarzio offer *similar* sounding pickups. But, they're not the same. No matter what your friend tells you. It is as it is. Unless someone is offering them on the used market, you cannot get the OEM pickups that are in the EVH/Axis guitar anywhere else.

That said...there *are* slight tonal differences between almost every guitar. That's simply the nature of magnetic degeneration, and the density/tolerances of wood. In the case of the EVH, I've heard tonal differences in some with faded finishes vs, the pristine. Are they real? Absolutely. Are they impossible to approximate using the prior-listed options from DiMarzio, the right mic placement, and EQ settings? No. The human ear wouldn't be able to tell you which pickups are in which guitar on a recording. Were you to purchase the close-equivalent pickup combination, you'd get the tone you're looking for.

It's still not an EVH though.

I own the EVH Striped, Peavey Wolfgang, and EVH-Stealth Special. None of them are as tonally complete to my ear as the EBMM.

YMMV
    Last edited by Neanderpaul; 02-04-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    "Neander" Paul Marshall
    www.neanderpaul.com
    EVH Signature: Born 9/21/92 - Trans Red Quilt w/ Matching HS
    EVH Signature: Born 1/06/93 - Trans Blue Quilt w/ Matching HS
    EVH Signature: Born 12/21/93 - Trans Purple Quilt w/ Faded HS
    Axis: Born 10/21/08 Natural Gloss Quilt w/ Maple HS

User Info Menu

I had a Stripe and my son has a Wolfgang. They’re very compressed pickups and too high output compared to the EBMM EVH. Eddie’s taken his tone too far from the original brown sound IMHO.
    Searching for the elusive third Luke!