Ernie Ball Cables

Thread: Vintage Trem Arm - should it be threaded or push in?

Vintage Trem Arm - should it be threaded or push in?

Hi guys,

I've just taken delivery of a Starry Night Silhouette - something I've been on the lookout for ages!

Really stoked with the guitar except to my surprise, the arm in the case is threaded rather than the push bar that I have on my other Silhouette and Axis (though both those are Floyded).

Is this normal for the vintage trems? I've gotten used to the easy in/out of a push in bar, don't know if I can go back!

Starry Night is recent. The vintage trem should 100% be a pop-in bar. Whoever sold it to you grabbed the wrong bar. It should definitely not be a screw in bar.

Hmmm but it does seem to screw in and engage though (sorry if this seems silly but I'm still at work so haven't had too much of a chance to look into it further)

Hi guys, can any one else weigh in please? So the screw in arm appears to fit the trem (the trem side seems threaded to allow it to screw in). I need to know if I should go back to the seller if there's an issue with it being modded - the guitar is otherwise in excellent condition though so it doesn't seem like it would have been chopped and changed at all

My Starry Night ASS trem is the push-in variety, so I assume they would all be. If it works, though, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're worried about it having been modified, post a couple of pics of the bridge. People here should be able to tell you pretty quickly.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Is the bridge stamped "Music Man" ?

While it may fit in the hole and seem to engage threads it should be a push fit like your others. It's most likely a lucky coincidence that the bar fits so well.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Thanks for your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Is the bridge stamped "Music Man" ?

While it may fit in the hole and seem to engage threads it should be a push fit like your others. It's most likely a lucky coincidence that the bar fits so well.
    Yep, it's got the Music Man stamp and nothing about the guitar seems out of the ordinary. The guitar didn't have the original case though so perhaps all the accessories etc were lost with it.

I'll see if I can borrow a push in bar for a MM vintage trem from the local distributor (gave it a go with my Floyd bars but they're a larger diameter).

Dang, sucks that the case is missing. EBMM cases are awesome, and protect the guitar very well. Also VERY durable. I can't understand the people that get a guitar and toss the case to put it in some type of gig bag.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Dang, sucks that the case is missing. EBMM cases are awesome, and protect the guitar very well. Also VERY durable. I can't understand the people that get a guitar and toss the case to put it in some type of gig bag.
    Ditto. Unless the guitar is at a fantastic price, that's a deal-breaker for me when looking at a used guitar.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Ditto. Unless the guitar is at a fantastic price, that's a deal-breaker for me when looking at a used guitar.
    Well, the alternative was NOT having a Starry Night Silhouette, which is something I was not prepared to continue doing...

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Yeah, a bit weird, but I have another Silhouette with a case already anyway. And the Gator case that it came with will do just fine for most applications.

My favourite thing about the EBMM cases is not having to take the arm out when storing the guitar! Brilliant.