Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Bought a Used JP6 with Rough Fret Ends

Bought a Used JP6 with Rough Fret Ends

So I purchased a used 2014 JP6 with very rough, tear-your-fingertips fret-ends. The Interwebs agree that the fretboard shrunk due to humidity changes - fix is to put in a case with humidifier.
    I've had it in a case with a humidifier for 3 days now but no change.
    Anyone know how long this could potential take?
    Thanks!

If the fret sprout is really bad, you may need to have them filed back and smoothed out. I've done it myself a few times on cheap guitars, but for a JP, I'd take it to a pro. It's not uncommon. It happens to guitars of all brands and price ranges, particularly if they're in a very dry climate or a very cold climate where you run the heat a lot in the winter.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

It can take a while for the humidity to effect the wood, especially if it is cold out. I would also say get the fret ends professionally taken care of, so it won't be a problem again.

Also, a room humidifier is great for keeping guitars and your sinuses from drying out.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I had this problem too. It took two months with the humidifier to fully fix it. Three days may not do the trick.

I had this problem develop over the last few months to my LIII and SM-Y2D. I asked the Ernie Ball Reps at NAMM what to do and they said DO NOT have the frets filed because once humidified the frets will be too short. It was recommended that I buy case humidifiers and give it some time.

I bought the Oasis Guitar Humidifier Plus+ (because I live in the desert) for each case, an Oasis Hygrometer, and a small room humidifier on Amazon for $33.00 I found out the humidity in my house is very low at 30% and needs to be 45-50%. I didn't realize that electric guitars are susceptible to dryness much like acoustic guitars. I treated the fretboards with Wonder Wipes, fresh strings, and cased them with the humidifiers (and I always keep them cased when not playing).

In two weeks time, my guitars have just about recovered back to their original state. The last few frets on each guitar need a little more time. I moved the Oasis Humidifier from behind the headstock to the open area in the case next to the 22nd fret. I'm monitoring them everyday and should be in good playing shape soon.

The room humidifier allows the case humidifiers to not have to "work" or dry out so fast. Plus, a bonus I didn't think of is that I've never slept better! My house feels like the acoustic room in Guitar Center.
    L III hss Bodhi Blue G79714 - 7/21/17
    PDN SM-Y2D Vintage Tobacco Sunburst G74404 - 9/11/15
    Majesty
    6 Copper Fire ​M05321 - 11/11/15
    Majesty
    7 Goldmine M05207 - 8/14/15
    Valentine Trans Black G83072 - 7/31/17

Get a set of files and do it yourself. Take your time and you'll be fine. I've done it on hundreds of guitars when I was a repair guy at a local shop. Any even semi-experienced tech can do this in his/her sleep. VERY common repair, not to knock anything the EB rep said. I'm just saying that if you live in a climate drier than where the guitar came from, do it. I have done this to my new Reflex and Cutlass in the last couple of weeks. No way I'm going to keep playing it with sprouts and keeping these humidified in the desert is far tougher than just file the 2mm's of fret sprout.

just my 2cents.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

Just did this on a 2011 JP7 that I bought used last year. It happened to exhibit some sprout this Winter, even after I had used oil on the fretboard (none of my other Balls in that room had any sprout that could be felt).

All we are doing is taking off a minuscule amount from each side to smooth the fret ends and bring them more flush with the wood. Look up a tutorial online before diving in and you'll be fine!