Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buzzing on brand new EBMM St. Vincent?

Could it be a duff saddle?

I'm thinking it's either the saddle or, god forbid, the neck got a slight twist or some other such thing during the wild temperatures in shipping. If it's a defect I guess I have to hope GC still has another one kicking around in a warehouse or another store.

my 2c: If the neck is almost straight/slight relief, the action is set right and the low E is still buzzing then there are two possible causes, the nut slot for the bass E is cut too low and/or there are some high frets. I'd be really surprised if the latter is the case and frankly the former too but it's not rocket science to check. I have a Majesty set really flat and action super low with 008-038 strings and it only buzzes at the top of the neck if I play harder; there's no reason why the St V can't be set-up the same. The comment "across the board" does suggest that the relief may be too flat but the OP has already adjusted this loose and back again.

There are loads of YouTube vids on set-up. Perform a quick fret height check using a credit card to rock across 3 frets at a time to put that one to bed then take a good look at the nut slots.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream

Frets were fine when checked w/ card; should I just bring it back for an exchange at this point, or is it worth having a luthier take a look? If it's anything more than setup work, I'll be doing so anyway.

Get it diagnosed by a luthier perhaps. But also get on to customer services

OP - Any luck resolving?
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by loser View Post
    Also, since I've already got a thread going... with these unfinished rosewood necks, what should my post-play care routine be? On a nitro finish or w/e I'd normally wipe it down with a dry cleaning cloth after use, but should I do anything different here to avoid working dirt into the grain? How often should I use the wipes they imclude with it, if I decide to buy more?

Thanks dudes
    Just give the strings a quick wipe with the moist towlette and that should be good. As for the fretboard if you've really got some grime built up on it, a soft toothbrush will usually do the trick. If you ever decided to take all the strings off thats a great time to address it. Wet the board with the wipes and get all you can just rubbing the wipe. For the really stubborn stuff use the toothbrush and gently scrub in the direction of the grain to get any gunk that might be in there. Re wet with another wipe if needed.

If you wipe the strings down and don't let the gunk build up on them it helps tremendously with the fingerboard grain gunk later on. Plus it lengthens the life of your strings. Best of luck sorting out your low E buzz. Hoping its just a simple adjustment and acclimation to your climate. It sucks getting a new guitar only to discover its gotta go back.

Brought it back in to have the store tech look at it (would have brought it to the luthier I always go to but then you get into voiding the return policy etc); after some adjustments, they figured it was the springs, and told me some foam underneath should fix it right up. I'm not 100% convinced that was the whole problem, but I'm also a dumb caveman so what do I know.

As dude was handing it back to me, he accidentally banged it on the metal corner of the bench and put a ding in it; they were super apologetic and offered to exchange it for a new one since it was on them, so now I'm waiting for #2 to come in. Weather is a bit friendlier this week so hopefully this one'll fair better.

Wow - what a story! That's too bad it happened, but hopefully #2 will be better for you.

Our weather has improved quite a bit here in Ohio too!! After a long spell of single digits and near zero nights!!!
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Maybe that lil bump was a blessing in disguise. Good luck to you with #2.

So here's a final, wonderful update; #2 came in, and it was bang-on PERFECT directly out of the box! Not one bit of abnormal buzz, no minute fret ends, perfectly slinky action; just absolutely immaculate in every way! It even just -feels- better. This just further convinces me that the springs weren't the culprit, and that the guitar likely sat in a bad spot or took poorly to harsh weather in shipping the first time around.

Absolutely overjoyed with this guitar, I've been playing it for the past 3 hours even though I have work in the morning. Thanks a ton for all the help folks, I'm an devout EBMM convert after playing this bad larry. Me thinks a Sting Ray guitar is in my future (if only I had the money for that trans walnut BFR right now).

They told you that some buzzing on your guitar was due to the springs? Uh...probably not the issue. Glad it all got worked out for the better.

Excellent - glad it worked out. Just got one myself and i absolutely love it. I know what you mean about this company. In two years I’ve gone from zero to 4

Great news!!!
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Good to hear #2 wound up being spot on. Go thank that repair guy for dinging the other one lol. He did you a favor.