Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!

NUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!

Good morning everybody! Forgive my grammar and spelling in this post. I am so excited that I can hardly stand it.
    I bought this guitar off of Reverb. It was listed as a 1995. I put in the serial here on the site and was told its a 1988.
    The case is in damn good shape. Still has some of that blue tape on the latches! Honestly, it's in better shape than the cases of my other Morse guitars!
    The neck is straight as an arrow with no cracks, warps or twists. It had a large scratch on the headstock on top but otherwise perfect. Frets are perfect. No wear.
    It came with the unfiled warranty papers, switch diagram, wrench ANNNNNND the keys to the case.
    Has damn near a baseball bat for neck compared to the rest of the ones I have.
    The switches and everything seem much more solid and overall it just seems more robust (I'm sure it's just my excitement. The others I have are nice too!)
    I snapped a few quick pics and I will say upfront that I can't use a camera for poop.
    Anywho, I now have a 1988, a 1994, a 1998 and a 2001 and as I was lining them all up for the group photo here's what occured to me:

Left to right in the photo

1988 I graduated High School

1994 Steve joins Purple

1998 I came home from China (and gratefully so....very loooong story)

2001 The year I met Steve Morse

NUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-cgqwv60fakulr2ghfbdg-jpgNUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-morses-jpg
    Last edited by vuduhwy; 02-15-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Nice!!! I saw that serial # when you posted it and smiled- that's when you could date the guitars by the first two digits. (I have a '91).

What a great score. Sounds like it's in great company.

Thanks! I'm gonna go play it for awhile and I'll give the pics thing a rest. I'm not terribly tech savy so I will need to figure out why I keep getting an error to upload message. I really wanna share the rest of the pics, but first...................

Heyyyyyy 1988! *High Fives class of 1988*
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Congrats on the best guitar ever made!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Congratulations!!

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    MAJESTY Stealth Polar Noir
    MAJESTY Stealth Glacial Frost (on order)
    MAJESTY Iced Crimson
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY #11 Timeworn Matte Silver

It's a time capsule! Nice score!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

few mor(s)e pics..........

I think I figured out my picture woes.................here's some more

NUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-20180213_120128-1-jpgNUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-20180213_120137-1-jpgNUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-20180213_120204-1-jpgNUGD......1988 Steve Morse!!!-20180213_120242-jpg
    Last edited by vuduhwy; 02-13-2018 at 09:02 PM.

They are such awesome guitars. That's definitely an early one! It's in good company! I guess it's found it's forever home.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Gorgeous.... especially for such vintage!
    Congrats!

...would like to add one of those to the harem someday myself...
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

This is awesome! Congrats to this case queen!

Very nice to see in your groupshot how the blueburst changed over the years. I guess the right one is the 2001? It has a quite dark blueburst whereas the others are kind of lighter. Beautiful!
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: DREiNS, Shelter50, The BlueScream

Very nice !

If you see Kevin (kestrou) lurking near your house, do not hesitate : shoot !

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    I guess the right one is the 2001? It has a quite dark blueburst whereas the others are kind of lighter.
    My Morse is a 2001 and it is not really dark. I believe the blueburst became darker later.

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    This is awesome! Congrats to this case queen!

Very nice to see in your groupshot how the blueburst changed over the years. I guess the right one is the 2001? It has a quite dark blueburst whereas the others are kind of lighter. Beautiful!
    HI! Ya, the dates I gave are form Left to Right in that pic. I should have mentioned that. Yes the 2001 is the dark one with the matching headstock.
    Second from Right is the 98 and I just love the brighter blueburst with almost no wood grain showing. The 94 is almost the same. I MUCH prefer the feel and sound of the 88.
    I just received it yesterday and I played it all day and into the evening. I woke up 2 times int the middle of the night and played it some more.
    I really like all 4 of them and it's amazing how different they all are. The 2001 is the lightest and brightest sounding so it's gonna be the one that I am doing the 3 single coil mod to that I mentioned in a previous thread.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Very nice !

If you see Kevin (kestrou) lurking near your house, do not hesitate : shoot !

My Morse is a 2001 and it is not really dark. I believe the blueburst became darker later.
    Hahahaha! I've not met Kevin but I'd welcome him in if he did show up. I'd talk his ears off and he'd probably run away screaming!

As for the blueburst becoming darker, I dunno. I had another SM Standard from 2007 that I just didn't bond with and it was really bright although it was very see-thru. It's pretty fun checking them out. I saw a used on the other day in a big chain store near my home. It was only a couple of years old and it was black. I kinda liked it but it was beat all to heck and the frets were really worn as well as the price being WAY too high. Maybe someday I will have one in another colour but it just worked out that all of these were blue. Apparently my tastes lean toward the earlier versions of this guitar and, as we know, the finish option was kinda limited during those times!

P.S. where can I see a pic of your 2001?

Having had many over the years, I too prefer the older Bluebursts.

Might I suggest replacing the tunes with the newer locking ones?