BFR Feb 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: Having doubts about my Luke III

User Info Menu

Need advice: Having doubts about my Luke III

I'm ramping up to start gigging again, and for the first time I'm realizing that my Luke III may not be the right guitar for me.

I like a thin neck, but I think this neck is TOO thin! Smaller frets apparently aren't my bag, either.

I'm liking my Valentine more and more, but I also need a guitar with a trem and a bridge humbucker.

What to do???
    2011 Axis Trans Orange

User Info Menu

Valentine with trem is coming this year, that's confirmed by EBMM.

Maybe you should try an AL HH with trem? A slightly more C shaped neck that is a little chunkier.

User Info Menu

How about a Silo Special or the Cutlass HSS ?
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Albert Lee HH is killer, but if you want the HSS, worth trying the Cutlass. Not tried a Silo so can't comment on that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keno View Post
    Valentine with trem is coming this year, that's confirmed by EBMM.

Maybe you should try an AL HH with trem? A slightly more C shaped neck that is a little chunkier.
    Good call, but no bridge humbucker in the Valentine, and unfortunately I think the Al is a truly ugly guitar...
    2011 Axis Trans Orange

User Info Menu

The Silo has a bigger neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri View Post
    Good call, but no bridge humbucker in the Valentine, and unfortunately I think the Al is a truly ugly guitar...
    I was sure the bridge pickup was a humbucker but you are right, it's single coil.
    In that case I' suggest going for the Stingray.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri View Post
    There is no arguing then. AL's shape is truly particular and can't appeal to everyone. If only you knew...

Just adding my two cents : I lusted for a Silo for DECADES and sold mine within two weeks : ultimately versatile guitar, MM quality, great neck, fantastic looks but...I couldn't get any sound I liked out of it : zero mojo. But it was just me, I truly believe more talented ones can make it sing almost any type of music!
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 02-26-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Silo Special HSS with trem

Find a neck you love and go from there.

User Info Menu

The Stingray neck is pretty beefy and the humbuckers sound great.

User Info Menu

Get your hands on a Silo Special, that should tick all the boxes.
    Steve Morse Y2D NB - G71869.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    There is no arguing then. AL's shape is truly particular and can't appeal to everyone. If only you knew...

Just adding my two cents : I lusted for a Silo for DECADES and sold mine within two weeks : ultimately versatile guitar, MM quality, great neck, fantastic looks but...I couldn't get any sound I liked out of it : zero mojo. But it was just me, I truly believe more talented ones can make it sing almost any type of music!
    Crazy how that works huh. In my pre-EBMM days I think I bought and sold more Tele's than I could count. Love what other players do with them, but when I get on one its horrible.

I have found a few really good players on Instagram playing Silo Specials. Look up Roy Ziv - great player, plays a Silo Special and a SBMM JV.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Is it more the size or the soft V shape that is causing issues? I never thought the Luke III had a particularly thin neck. It's in that "just right" territory for me.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

very similar situation to yours. I had a luke 3 2015 I sold because I thought neck was too small. One week later I bought another one, lol. I ended up missing the tone, the pickup selection, the looks, the bridge, etc etc. The new one is a luke3 BFR and coincidentally the neck feels slightly bulkier. I am happy again. I can't imagine lukes have much variability in terms of neck size and I doubt it but not all guitars feel the same way.

In terms of looking for a similar to luke kind of thing but bigger neck, I would get an axis super sport. Float the trem and there you go.

User Info Menu

I had the same thing with my Luke I. In the end I "shoot" a cheap Axis on Ebay (after seaching for years) and changed the necks.
    Now this Luke with the Axis neck is my #1
    My Balls:
    1995 Silo Special - Pearl Green
    1996 Silo Special - Pearl Green
    1996 Axis - Transl. Gold
    1997 Silo Special - Pearl Purple
    1997 Luke I - Luke Blue
    1997 Axis - Transl. Blue
    1999 Silo Special - Black Sparkle