Ready to Roar

Thread: Something wrong with my Majesty Bridge

User Info Menu

Something wrong with my Majesty Bridge

The 6th string (fat E) is where the problem occurs. Downpicking is fine and sounds normal but when I up pick the string sounds weak, flat, dull, damp, dead.There are times that you can barely even hear the note being picked. It happens on any pickup setting, even Piezo. It doesn't happen when I play unplugged (acousticly) , only when I'm using an amp or interface. The batteries are fresh, the strings have been changed a number of times. I've tried differen't picks, I've tried using my fingers like I'm playing bass.

User Info Menu

Is the string saddle level? Could it be that the tiny screw on the right side of the string saddle is screwed out (counter clockwise I think) too much causing the saddle to be lob-sided and higher towards the bass side the the guitar? Just a guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Music Man JP Majesty Artisan Azuro
    Music Man Eddie Van Halen 1992
    Music Man JP7 BFR Solar Burst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrblog47 View Post
    Is the string saddle level? Could it be that the tiny screw on the right side of the string saddle is screwed out (counter clockwise I think) too much causing the saddle to be lob-sided and higher towards the bass side the the guitar? Just a guess...

Wow, I would've never thought of that. I think you're right. When looking at it there is one side that is just barely higher than the other. Should I lower that side or raise the other side?

User Info Menu

Ok, I lowered it and it fixed the problem. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp155 View Post
    Ok, I lowered it and it fixed the problem. Thanks
    Haha awesome. That was a long shot! Glad it helped. I find the majesty needs a really precise setup to get the most out of it. The smallest thing can matter a lot.

Music Man JP Majesty Artisan Azuro
    Music Man Eddie Van Halen 1992
    Music Man JP7 BFR Solar Burst

User Info Menu

A good find. I've never experienced the dead string but I have experienced one loose grub screw; with some bridges, adjacent saddles can support each other so it's even possible for a saddle to look reasonably level and one or more screws to be loose, not contacting the base plate. This can also be a source of buzzing; a loose grub screw only just touching the base plate. Steinberger-style bridges are infamous for this problem.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream