Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Your preferred action height on you EBMM?

User Info Menu

Your preferred action height on you EBMM?

I have my cutlass set up medium-low, but just how I like it at roughly 1.6mm at the 17th. Plays great with no unwanted sympathetic noises. I checked the EBMM website as I was curious what the recommended specs were and was quite surprised to find that they recommend 1.6mm at the 12th! This seems quite high for such a well made guitar.

Anyhow, I'm curious about the preferences and experiences of other EBMM enthusiasts when it comes to string action height.

User Info Menu

I usually set mine around 1.4mm at the 12th fret on the high e, and 1.6mm at the low E. Higher action in many cases results in a better tone. Also I can dig in more and not have to worry as much about buzz.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

2 mm over 12th fret on the low E, 1.75 mm on the high E. 0.2 mm neck relief.

Most manufacturers that make specific recommendations suggest 2 mm on the low E string and 1.75 to 1.5 mm on the high E-string. 0.2 to 0.3 mm neck relief works well. If I hand a client a guitar setup that way they are usually delighted and rarely want much change from that. Of course people should set their guitars up for whatever feels and sounds best to them but that's a good starting point and adjust to taste thereafter.

Personally, I'm amazed that people can play with anything lower than 1.5 mm without too much buzz. That to me is LOW! How Petrucci can play with action as low as he goes, I just don't know! Of course there was a time when I played a vintage reissue strat with 2.5mm action and I can't quite understand how I did that either!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Hello

I never measure the action height when I setup my guitars. Every neck is different (profile and radius) and for me the most important things are :
    • no buzz
    • no choke out
    • feels good !

Besides I play with 10-52 strings, and I play also a dobro and acoustic with heavy strings (for slide), thus very low action is not for me !

I believe in my case, the action is always > 2 mm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Hello

I never measure the action height when I setup my guitars. Every neck is different (profile and radius) and for me the most important things are :
    • no buzz
    • no choke out
    • feels good !

Besides I play with 10-52 strings, and I play also a dobro and acoustic with heavy strings (for slide), thus very low action is not for me !

I believe in my case, the action is always > 2 mm.
    This is it for me also. I never measure mine either. I make sure I have a good fret and nut job, A teency bit of relief in the next and then I noodle all over and play with the saddles until I get clear notes (for the way that I play) Some of my guitars have lower action and some are higher.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

As low as possible with no buzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terry007 View Post
    As low as possible with no buzz.

This exactly.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17). FS
    REVERB

User Info Menu

About 4/64 (approximately 1.6mm) on the low E and closer to 3/64 (approximately 1.2mm) on the high E. Distances are from top of 12th fret to bottom of string with strings unfretted.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP