Ultra Burly

Thread: Floyd Rose on Axis Super Sport?

User Info Menu

Floyd Rose on Axis Super Sport?

Hi.

Will a Floyd Rose fit on my Axis Super Sport with no modifications?

I just want to install the Floyd Rose bridge and not the Floyd Rose locking nut, because the Axis Super Sport already has the locking Schaller tuners

Basically, I want to set up my Axis Super Sport like Guthrie Govan's guitar (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners, and a dive-only tremolo setup).

Guthrie's guitar stays in perfect tune with this setup, even when he bends like crazy or dives and pulls the Floyd Rose. Check out this video where he explains his setup: Guthrie Govan on switching to a retro-style Floyd Rose on his latest Charvel prototype - YouTube

Do you think my Axis Super Sport will stay in tune with this kind of setup?
    Last edited by atomicdogma; 03-18-2018 at 04:14 PM.

User Info Menu

I set up all my guitars this way. You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws. Make sure you trust the luthier. In my opinion I would leave the standard term and block it for diving only.
    Axis "tribute" Solid Gold
    Marshal plexi 1987 x Modded
    Thd Bivalve
    Marshall cabs
    Garbage strats , a pile of them
    2005 Les Paul Premium Plus
    A bunch of Danelectro's
    1967 200 watt Marshall major

User Info Menu

A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues. It also won't be as stable as a true double locking system.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Thanks for info, @bischero and @tbonesullivan!

This guy on YouTube has his guitar setup the same way (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only locking tuners). His guitar stays in PERFECT tune when he goes CRAZY on the Floyd Rose. It's AMAZING!

Check it out the video: Floyd Rose tuning stability WITHOUT locking nut? - YouTube
    Last edited by atomicdogma; 03-19-2018 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

"You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws."
    - Do you mean the tremolo studs on my Axis Super Sport will not fit on an Original Floyd Rose (see attachment)? They look exactly the same as Floyd Rose studs.

"A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues."
    - The Axis Super Sport has a custom compensated nut (see attachment). I wonder if this will ok with the setup I'd like (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floyd Rose on Axis Super Sport?-1-jpg   Floyd Rose on Axis Super Sport?-jpg  
    Last edited by atomicdogma; 03-18-2018 at 11:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomicdogma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bischero View Post
    You will have to have the super sport routed for the pivot screws. Make sure you trust the luthier. In my opinion I would leave the standard term and block it for diving only.
    - Do you mean the tremolo studs on my Axis Super Sport will not fit on an Original Floyd Rose (see attachment)? They look exactly the same as Floyd Rose studs.
    The current (new-style) trem studs are indeed the same for the vintage trem and the current (new-style) EBMM Floyd. However, I don't know if the current (new-style) EBMM trem studs would work with an Original Floyd Rose. NOTE: Even if they are the same studs, you'll need to check that the spacing between the two studs is exactly the same for the vintage trem and the Floyd, or the new trem will bind.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicdogma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    A setup like that will need a very well cut and lubricated nut, or else you'll have tuning issues.
    - The Axis Super Sport has a custom compensated nut (see attachment). I wonder if this will ok with the setup I'd like (Floyd Rose bridge, no Floyd Rose locking nut with only Schaller locking tuners)?
    I think this is a non-issue. If I can dive-bomb my vintage trem on my ASS without tuning issues, why would the Floyd behave any differently? I don't think you need to worry about this.

User Info Menu

The player that the TO is referencing really is bend and tremolo maniac, complete with behind the nut bends, bends up to 2 whole steps, etc.

Personally, I think that the strings behind the bridge are much less likely to lead to any tuning instability than the strings behind the nut. I also have not had any problems with tuning instability on my luke III, when using lots of dive bombs, etc.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

The missing element is locking saddles. Sounds like there are a few companies working at that.

Really, if you could just retrofit the saddle with a locking one (were there a commercially available solution), you'd be off to the races.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the detailed info, @dibart77!

"The player that the TO is referencing really is bend and tremolo maniac, complete with behind the nut bends, bends up to 2 whole steps, etc."
    - I agree, @tbonesullivan. Guthrie Govan goes crazy with his bends and tremolo stuff. It's amazing to watch. He looks and plays like some kind of mad genius wizard! Haha!

"The missing element is locking saddles. Sounds like there are a few companies working at that."
    - Locking saddles is a great idea, @beej! You should patent that idea! Cha-Ching! $$$
    Last edited by atomicdogma; 03-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.