BFR June

Thread: Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.

User Info Menu

Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.

I have a late '17/'18 black cutlass with a maple neck. One of the things that I have noticed is that the neck is MUCH more glossy when compared to other cutlass examples that I have seen and played.

Has anyone else played a newer cutlass and noticed a change in the neck finish from other models or is mine an oddity?

Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.-img_0992-jpg
    Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.-img_0990-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.-img_0989-jpg  
    Last edited by silverman; 04-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

It does look a bit more glossy than my early 16. Get the 000 wire wool on it
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (SOLD)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

I briefly considered it, but the thought of taking rough wool to this beautiful instrument is more than I can bear. I'm just curious if it is a deliberate change or not.

User Info Menu

The bigge4 question is how comfortable/easy to play is it? Great I bet.

User Info Menu

Satin poly can rub into a glossier finish over time - I've seen other brands to that, but not EBMM. Also I haven't seen any late 2017s in person (the local GC still has a couple of late 2016/early 2017s hanging on the wall and they are both very satiny).

That being said the 2018 models with the roasted maple necks are listed as having the oil/wax finish on the necks.

User Info Menu

The additional gloss certainly isn't from play rub. It looked like that straight out of the box.

It plays wonderfully over all, and the tint does look good with the black paint, but if I had my druthers , I certainly would prefer a "waxier" example. Anyways, it's something I can tolerate.

User Info Menu

we're gonna need to see some full on shots of this guitar for our enjoyment of the full package

User Info Menu

Sure! I'm always happy to show off my baby.

Not much a camera man (plus not much light, being a snowy APRIL day in Chicago) and the upload manager keeps on rejecting some of the pics, but here is a full body shot I managed to get on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.-img_0996-jpg   Late '17/'18 cutlass using more gloss on the maple necks.-img_1001-jpg  

User Info Menu

Nice. I’d like to get an HSS myself. That colour combo is a classy look
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (SOLD)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green