BFR June

Thread: Switching the pickups from an HSS cutlass to a SSS cutlass.

User Info Menu

Switching the pickups from an HSS cutlass to a SSS cutlass.

Sounds kind of crazy but I am thinking about doing it. I currently own two Cutli, one an HSS the other an SSS RS. When I bought the SSS RS, I actually ordered it with an HSS config, but I assume they sent me the SSS on accident. The SSS is so light and magnificent, that I was simply thinking about switching out the PU's, rather than exchanging and waiting for a guitar that may not be as light.

My question is in 3 parts

A) does the additional electronics on these guitars mean that doing a swap like this would be more complicated than otherwise?

B) If I were to sell a guitar that was originally an HSS configuration swapped to an SSS, would that be dishonest?

C) is this s stupid idea?

User Info Menu

If you ordered SSS, I'd tell the dealer rather than go through the trouble of swapping out pickups.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98). FS on REVERB.
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverman View Post
    Sounds kind of crazy but I am thinking about doing it. I currently own two Cutli, one an HSS the other an SSS RS. When I bought the SSS RS, I actually ordered it with an HSS config, but I assume they sent me the SSS on accident. The SSS is so light and magnificent, that I was simply thinking about switching out the PU's, rather than exchanging and waiting for a guitar that may not be as light.

My question is in 3 parts

A) does the additional electronics on these guitars mean that doing a swap like this would be more complicated than otherwise?

B) If I were to sell a guitar that was originally an HSS configuration swapped to an SSS, would that be dishonest?

C) is this s stupid idea?
    A. I'm pretty sure that on the Cutlass all the electronics are mounted on the pickguard. The issue could be the routing of the body - although I believe I saw a post here that indicated all Cutlass bodies are HSS routed now so that shouldn't be an issue in your scenario (the SSS RS being a newer model than the HSS - if you were going the other way trying to put the HSS pickguard on say a 2016 Cutlass you would have to do some routing).

B. As long as you disclose that the pickguards have been swapped I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course as it goes down the line you could wind up with say the 3rd owner not disclosing it when the guitar is sold to the 4th owner, then the 4th owner posts here and finds out that the guitar was originally an HSS.

C. Not a stupid idea if you really prefer the HSS pickups to the SSS pickups but you really prefer the feel of the new one (SSS RS) over the feel of the HSS.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, but I think it will be more trouble than it is worth. My concern is over devaluing the HSS, with a swap.

I called Sam Ash and requested they order a new HSS RS for which I will exchange the erroneously sent SSS upon arrival

I mainly wanted to do it because the new RS just plays so beautifully - I'm concerned that exchanging the new RS with the vendor for an HSS may net a inferior product.